Richard Shepherd (producer)
|Born||Richard Allen Silberman
June 4, 1927
Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||January 14, 2014
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Richard "Dick" Shepherd (born Richard Allen Silberman, June 4, 1927 – January 14, 2014) was an American film producer.
Born Richard Allen Silberman in 1927 in Kansas City, Missouri, he attended Stanford University and studied journalism. After graduating, he worked for talent agent Lew Wasserman, selling syndicated TV shows. In the early 1950s, Jews were somewhat ostracized where he worked, and he changed his name to Shepherd, according to his son Scott. During his employment with Wasserman, Shepherd enlisted in the United States Army, writing stories for the Stars and Stripes newspaper in post-World War II Germany. After his service, he would go on to head production at Warner Bros. in 1970 and MGM in 1976, before founding his own agency, the Artists Agency, where he would work into his 70s.
His notable role as producer came with the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany's. When Paramount Pictures wanted to replace the signature song Moon River, both Shepherd and co-producer Martin Jurow exclaimed "Over our dead bodies!" The song later won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.
Personal life and death
Shepherd was married to Judith Mayer Goetz from 1954 to 1968. They had three children, Scott, Tony, and Victoria. In 1979, Shepherd married Patricia and had a son, Christopher, by her. Shepherd died at his home in Los Angeles, in 2014, at the age of 86, from kidney failure.
- 1959 - The Hanging Tree
- 1960 - The Fugitive Kind
- 1961 - Love in a Goldfish Bowl
- 1961 - Breakfast at Tiffany's
- 1976 - Robin and Marian
- 1976 - Alex and the Gypsy
- 1983 - The Hunger
- 1985 - Volunteers
- Colker, David (2014-01-15). "Dick Shepherd, one of the producers behind 'Breakfast at Tiffany's,' dies at 86". Latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Barnes, Mike (January 15, 2014). "Richard Shepherd, Producer of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's,' Dies at 86". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Khatchatourian, Maane (January 15, 2014). "Producer Richard Shepherd, Founder of Artists Agency, Dies at 86". Variety. Retrieved January 18, 2014.