Dickey's Barbecue Pit
|Genre||Fast casual restaurant|
Number of locations
|457 (May 2020)|
|Laura Rea Dickey (CEO)|
|Products||Slow smoked meats|
|Parent||Dickey's Capital Group|
In 1941, Travis Dickey founded Dickey's Barbecue Pit in Dallas, Texas (Original location: 4610 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX, which is still in operation as of 2017). The restaurant began franchising in 1994. Roland Dickey Jr. was appointed CEO of the restaurant chain in 2006. Technomic named Dickey's Barbecue Pit the "Fastest-growing restaurant chain in the country" in 2012. That year, QSR Magazine included Dickey's Barbecue Pit on its list of "Best Franchise Deals."
Dickey's Barbecue Pit established its Barbecue, Boots & Badges Foundation, a charity foundation for law enforcement officers and firefighters, in November 2014. Fast Casual included the restaurant on its list of "Top 100 Movers and Shakers: Restaurants" in May 2014. A noticeable event in Dickey's Barbecue Pit's history was when Lonzo Ball was once seen holding a Dickey's "Big Yellow Cup" in an interview with NBA legend Isiah Thomas.
In 2015, Ernst & Young recognized Roland Dickey Jr. as Entrepreneur Of The Year Award Winner in the Southwest Region.
In 2017, Laura Rea Dickey was named chief executive officer of Dickey's Barbecue Pit, and falls under the umbrella of Dickey's Capital Group, the parent company of the Dickey's Barbecue Pit brand.
In 2018, the company opened its first international location at the Yas Mall in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. This location resulted from a franchising deal with operator Serenity Hospitality, based in Abu Dhabi. In a collaborative effort, the company and Dickey’s customized its menu for locals, adding offerings such as smoked lamb and beef sausages.  The second international location opened in Dubai in March 2019. 
The first Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in Singapore opened in its Central Business District in March 2021. The franchise is a ghost kitchen concept in the Central Kitchen Co., a contactless food court across from the city’s Cross Street Exchange.
In April 2021, the chain expanded to Japan, starting in Tokyo, with plans to open a restaurant in every major city in the country. The Tokyo restaurant is located in the Kamiosaki District of Shinagawa-ku and offers limited dine-in seating as well as takeout and third-party delivery. It will be operated by the Japan Barbecue Franchise Company’s owner, Sunsheng (Jason) Lin.
- Laura Rea Dickey, Chief Executive Officer
- Jay Rooney, Chief Financial Officer
- Renee Roozen, Chief Administrative Officer
Dickey's Barbecue Pit is a fast-casual restaurant that serves beef brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, Polish sausage, spicy cheddar sausage, hot link and chicken. The restaurant chain smokes its meat on-site over hickory wood-burning pits. Additionally, Dickey's Barbecue Pit serves home-style sides including fried okra, jalapeño beans, green beans with bacon, waffle iron fries, barbecue beans, Caesar or garden salad, macaroni and cheese, corn on cob, and onion tanglers. The same recipes have been used since the restaurant was established in 1941.
The restaurant began franchising in 1994. By January 2017, Dickey's Barbecue Pit Franchise had more than 483 restaurant locations in 43 states. The restaurant hosts "Barbecue U," an intensive, three-week session for franchise owners and operators. Dickey's Barbecue Pit customizes franchise restaurants based on location.
Dickey's differentiates its franchise from other restaurant franchise companies by offering what it calls "six revenue streams", listing them as: Dine-In, Catering, Online Ordering, Outside Delivery, Retail Items, and Holiday Meals.
- "Find your local Dickey's Barbecue Pit location". Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- Godin, Eileen (November 20, 2014). "Dickey's Barbecue Pit makes mouths water in Plains Township". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Sorich, Sonya (January 7, 2015). "Dickey's Barbecue Pit opening Rocklin restaurant". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Tanyeri, Dana. "Q&A with Richard Phillips, Vice President of Development, Dickey's Barbecue Pit". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Abril, Danielle (January 23, 2014). "Dickey's to open 100 locations in southern California". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Lincoln's fourth Dickey's Barbecue Pit opening Thursday". February 18, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Brings in Record Thanksgiving Sales". December 14, 2012. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Pit Calls For Artwork Submissions to Be Featured as a Mural on Original Location". November 14, 2016. Archived from the original on November 19, 2016. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- Brown, Andrea (May 30, 2014). "Dickey's Barbecue Pit does brisket, smoked meats right". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Pit". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Spaeth, Merrie. "Dickey's Texas Barbecue Aims to Conquer the Country". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Maze, Jonathan (July 22, 2013). "Technomic: 2012 Was A Good Year For Restaurants". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Smith, Daniel P. (July 2012). "2012's Best Franchise Deals". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Dickey's New Charity Benefits Police Officers, Firefighters". February 9, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Top 100: Restaurants – Dickey's Barbecue Pit". February 2, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Dickey's CEO named Southwest Region Entrepreneur Of The Year". July 2, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "Dickey's Reorganizes Executive Team". Nation's Restaurant News. January 3, 2017. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Pit now open at Yas Mall". Abu Dhabi Confidential. October 22, 2018.
- Innovates, Dallas (2018-10-31). "O Canada: Dallas-Based Dickey's Barbecue Pit is Going Global » Dallas Innovates". Dallas Innovates. Retrieved 2021-05-28.
- "Dickey's to open four more Dubai stores in 2019". Caterer Middle East. Dec 24, 2018. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Pit opens second Dubai location". www.fastcasual.com. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2021-05-28.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Opens in Singapore". QSR magazine. Retrieved 2021-05-28.
- "Dickey's Barbecue Pit Makes its Highly Anticipated Japan Debut". Restaurant News. Retrieved 13 May 2021.
- "Dickey's plants flag in Japan". www.fastcasual.com. 2021-05-13. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- Luna, Nancy (Mar 27, 2019). "Dickey's promotes Jay Rooney to new CFO role". Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Freedman, Brian (July 16, 2014). "Dickey's Barbecue Pit, or, when local chefs do great things to national chains". Archived from the original on July 16, 2014. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Foster, Drew (August 26, 2014). "Dickey's Barbecue Pit opens in Kennewick Aug. 28". Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Ruggless, Ron (January 24, 2017). "The Power List 2017: Roland Dickey Jr". Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Dickey's BBQ Franchise". June 26, 2019. Retrieved June 26, 2019.