Left to Right: Jana McCall, Kerry Green, Kelly Canary, Lisa Smith.
Photo by Charles Peterson, 1991
|Origin||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Genres||Grunge, punk rock, heavy metal, riot grrrl|
|Labels||Sub Pop Records|
|Associated acts||Jana McCall, Teen Angels|
|Website||myspace.com artist page|
|Past members|| (drums)|
Dickless was a Seattle-based grunge rock band signed to Sub Pop records in 1990. Dickless is notable for their unique growling shrieking vocal style. Kelly Canary, the original vocalist, had a distinct growling scream that lead the quartet through short (approximately 20 minutes) and loud live performances. During their first few years, their loud and abrasive sound was new and unusual for an all-female music group. Simultaneously, their short discography included song titles and a song cover, "I'm a Man" by Bo Diddley, that were blatantly ironic given their abrasive sound and female members. The band name itself is meant to be satire. The group's period of activity coincided with the emerging "Riot grrrl" music culture.
The original lineup consisted of Lisa Buckner (drums), Kelly Canary (vocals), Jana McCall (bass), Kerry Green (guitar). Lisa Buckner was soon replaced by Lisa Smith from Atomic 61 on drums. After a few years, Kelly Canary quit to form the Teen Angels. Lisa Smith would also join the Teen Angels later. Sub Pop employee Megan Jasper became the new vocalist after Kelly Canary's last show. Jennie Trower eventually replaced Jana McCall on bass.
The group had a relatively short discography during their sporadic nine-year existence. Their entire discography was seven short songs (most songs were between 1:00 to 2:00 minutes) spread across seven different releases (not counting the planned, but never released Anthology album).
Their release as Thee Dickless All Stars included Mark Arm of Mudhoney on vocals and Duane Bodenheimer of Derelicts on guitar. Their song Lumber Jack again included Mark Arm of Mudhoney on vocals.
- Saddle Tramp / I'm A Man 7" record from Sub Pop Records, SP59 (1990)
- Saddle Tramp / I'm A Man / Miniskirt Mob Maxi record from Tupelo Recording Company (1990)
- Sex God Tad 7" record (listed as artist Thee Dickless All-Stars) from Sub Pop Records, SP100 (1991)
- Lumber Jack / C-Word 7" record from Sub Pop Records, SP441 (1998)
- Saddle Tramp (live version) from Sub Pop Records Compilation The Grunge Years, SP112 (1991)
- Sweet Teeth from C/Z Records Compilation album Teriyaki Asthma, Vols. I-V (1991)
- C-Word from Up Records Compilation album Up Next, UP60 (1998)
- Mark Yarm (2012-03-13). Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge. Three Rivers Press. pp. 187,99,185. ISBN 9780307464446.
- "Dickless myspace page". myspace.com (photo). Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Everett True (2009). Nirvana: The Biography. Da Capo Press. p. 278. ISBN 978-0786733903.
- Wm. "Miniskirt mob: Dickless". Lamestain HQ blog. blogspot.com. Archived from the original on 2013-05-23.
It used to strike us as silly to see the term “grunge” applied to slick, carefully marketed, radio-ready bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Blind Melon, because Dickless embodied grunge better than perhaps any other band from that era, and nobody would consider them slick or ready for radio.
- "Dickless artist page". last.fm. Last.fm Ltd. Archived from the original on 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- Phil West (Jan 19, 1996). "music Recviews: TEEN ANGELS Daddy (SubPop)". Austin Chronicle Corp. Archived from the original on 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Dickless myspace blog: Lisa's Dickless trivia". myspace.com (blog). Jul 27, 2006. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Art Chantry. "perfect: dickless world". madamepickwickartblog.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-17.
- Mark Yarm (February 26, 2011). "excerpt from interview with Kelly Canary". grungebook.tumblr.com. tumblr.com. Archived from the original on 2013-05-23.
- Marisa Meltzer (2010-02-15). Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music. Macmillan. p. 42. ISBN 9781429933285.
- Craig Joyce. "Mr Epp and the Calculations "Probably the worst band in the world"". mudhoney.net. Archived from the original on 2013-05-15. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Teen Angels". discogs.com. Discogs. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Everett True (2006). Nirvana: True Story. Music Sales Group. pp. Notes 4. ISBN 978-1844496402.
- "Dickless myspace page". myspace.com (press release). Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Dickless / Saddle Tramp / Im A Man - SP059". subpop.com. Sub Pop Records. Archived from the original on 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Dickless I'm A Man". Petite Discographies.
- "Dickless". www.discogs.com. Discogs.
- "Dickless All-Stars / Sex God Tad+ 3 - SP100". subpop.com. Sub Pop Records. Archived from the original on 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Dickless / C-Word / Lumber Jack - SP441". www.subpop.com. Subpop. Archived from the original on 2013-04-04.
- "Various Artists / The Grunge Years - SP112". subpop.com. Sub Pop Records. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Teriyaki Asthma, Vols. I-V". musicbrainz.org.
- "UP #060 , Up Next compilation". www.uprecords.com. Archived from the original on 2004-08-04.
- "Dickless / Anthology - SBL-80059". www.subpop.com. Subpop. Archived from the original on 2008-04-30.