Arismendi playing for Barnsley
|Full name||Hugo Diego Arismendi Ciapparetta|
|Date of birth||25 January 1988|
|Place of birth||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2010||→ Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||6||(0)|
|2010–2011||→ Barnsley (loan)||30||(1)|
|2012||→ Huddersfield Town (loan)||9||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:44, 4 September 2015 (UTC).
Arismendi began his career with Nacional, one of Uruguay's leading clubs. His performances for Nacional in the Copa Libertadores earned him a call up to the Uruguay national team and to the attention of clubs in Europe. English Premier League side Stoke City signed Arismendi a fee of £2.6 million becoming the club's first South American player. However at Stoke he has failed to make any impact and has only been included in cup and European matches. He has also spent time out on loan at Brighton & Hove Albion, Barnsley and Huddersfield Town. After ending his unsuccessful time in England he returned to Uruguay.
On 29 August 2009 it was reported that Arismendi had agreed personal terms and passed a medical with Stoke City. It was then announced late on 31 August 2009 that he had signed for a fee of £2.6 million possibly rising to £4.8 million.  Arismendi made his Stoke debut in a 4–3 win over Blackpool in the League Cup on 22 September 2009. He was substituted at half-time due to an injury.
On 2 March 2010 Arismendi joined League One side Brighton & Hove Albion on loan linking up with fellow country man Gus Poyet. His time on the south coast was overshadowed by injury as he endured a miserable time which ended with a red card against MK Dons in his final game for the club. On 12 July 2010 Arismendi joined championship side Barnsley on a season long loan. He scored his first goal in English football against Leeds United in a 5–2 win for Barnsley. He returned to Stoke at the start of the 2011–12 season and whilst he has made the matchday squad a few occasions he has remained as an used substitute. He did make four appearances in the away matches in the UEFA Europa League including their final match against Valencia.
He joined Huddersfield Town on loan on 16 March 2012 until the end of the season. He made his debut for the "Terriers" the following day as a substitute in their 1–1 draw at Colchester United at the Colchester Community Stadium. His first start for the club came in the 1–0 home victory over league leaders Charlton Athletic on 24 March 2012.
Arismendi was left out of Stoke's 25-man squad for the 2012–13 season leaving his future certain to be away from the Britannia Stadium. His contract at Stoke was terminated at the end of November 2012 bringing an end to a poor three years at the club in which he managed just six appearances none of which came in a Premier League match. He returned to Uruguay and re-signed for Nacional.
Whilst living in England, Arismendi was branded a 'noise pest' after forcing his neighbour to move due to hosting late night parties.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Nacional||2006–07||Uruguayan Primera División||10||0||–||–||0||0||10||0|
|2007–08||Uruguayan Primera División||21||1||–||–||13||1||34||2|
|2008–09||Uruguayan Primera División||24||1||–||–||10||1||34||2|
|Stoke City||2009–10||Premier League||0||0||0||0||2||0||–||2||0|
|Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||2009–10||League One||6||0||0||0||0||0||–||6||0|
|Huddersfield Town (loan)||2010–11||League One||9||0||0||0||0||0||–||9||0|
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/09/2009 and 30/09/2009" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- "Uruguayan Star Joins Potters". Stoke City FC. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Stoke City 4–3 Blackpool". Stoke City FC. Stoke City. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Diego Joins Brighton". Stoke City FC. Stoke City. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Arismendi's Loan Move To Barnsley". stokecityfc.com. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Barnsley 5–2 Leeds". BBC Sport. 14 September 2010. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "Valencia 1 – 0 Stoke". BBC Sport. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Arismendi Joins Huddersfield". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "DIEGO A DONE DEAL!". Huddersfield Town F.C. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Huddersfield 1–0 Charlton". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "25-Man Squad Announced". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Arismendi Departs". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Premiership footballer Diego Arismendi's late night parties 'forced neighbour to move out'". Telegraph. London. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "D. ARISMENDI". Socceway. Retrieved 4 September 2015.