Diego De Girolamo
De Girolamo playing for York City in 2015
|Full name||Diego Raymond De Girolamo|
|Date of birth||5 October 1995|
|Place of birth||Chesterfield, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Playing position||Winger / Forward|
|2014||→ York City (loan)||4||(3)|
|2014–2015||→ York City (loan)||4||(1)|
|2015||→ York City (loan)||4||(0)|
|2015||→ Northampton Town (loan)||6||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:56, 16 May 2015 (UTC).
Born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire he came through the youth system at Sheffield United before signing a professional contract. Qualifying to represent Italy through his father, he has made six appearances for Italy under-18s, scoring three times. He had three loan spells with League Two club York City during the 2014–15 season. He finished the season on loan with Northampton Town.
De Girolamo came through the youth system of Sheffield United from the age of seven, and despite interest from Manchester United and Manchester City, he signed a three-year professional contract with the club at the end of October 2012. At the start of the following December, he made his first team debut in the quarter-final of the Football League Trophy against Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena. De Girolamo's first league appearance for United came in a victory over Colchester United in February 2013, where he replaced Ryan Flynn as a last minute substitute, providing an assist for Dave Kitson to score the final goal in a 3–0 victory. After one further appearance for United, De Girolamo picked up a knee injury whilst playing for Italy under-18s in March, which kept him out of first team contention for nine months, not returning to full training until early December 2013. De Girolamo returned to United's first team on 7 October 2014 as the team won 2–1 away at Hartlepool United in the Football League Trophy.
De Girolamo joined League Two club York City on a one-month youth loan deal on 9 October 2014, and scored on his debut two days later with the opening goal of a 3–1 away defeat to Newport County. On 4 November 2014, De Girolamo was recalled early from his loan spell at York City having scored three goals in four matches, so he could be available for United's two upcoming cup fixtures. He made three appearances for United before rejoining York on another youth loan on 26 November 2014, with the deal expiring on 4 January 2015. De Girolamo scored one goal in four appearances before returning to United, who wanted to strengthen their striking options before considering letting him return to York. He scored his first goal for United as they drew 1–1 away at Preston North End in the fourth round of FA Cup on 24 January 2015, earning a replay at Bramall Lane.
De Girolamo declined a new contract with Sheffield United on 31 January 2015. On 16 February 2015, United manager Nigel Clough confirmed that De Girolamo would be leaving United at the end of the season stating that "he's rejected his contract offer and the chance to stay here... We've got Matt Done who has come in and Marc McNulty is a better player than Diego and he can't get on at the moment." The following day he was loaned to York again, this time for the remainder of the season. Having made four appearances in his third spell with York, he left the club to join their League Two rivals Northampton Town on loan for the rest of the season on 19 March 2015, explaining that "Northampton play attractive football and express myself by getting on the ball a lot". He made his debut in Northampton's 2–1 away defeat to Bury on 21 March 2015, and finished the loan spell with six appearances. Despite having expressed his desire to leave United, he was offered another new contract by the club in May 2015. De Girolamo signed a new two-year contract with the club on 13 July 2015, having initially rejected a new offer.
De Girolamo is eligible to represent both England and Italy at international level, prompting a tug-of-war between the England and Italy under-18 sides for his services. De Girolamo opted for Italy after Italian football legend Arrigo Sacchi personally rang him in a plea for him to represent Italy. In January 2013 De Girolamo was called up by the Italian under-18 team for the Granatkin Memorial, and made his début as a 68th minute substitute in a 1–0 victory over Belgium on 6 January 2013. He went on to play in every game in the tournament, scoring twice in two starts during the knock-out phase against Iran and the Czech Republic. De Girolamo earned his second call-up to the under-18s in a friendly match against Austria U-18s on 6 March 2013. De Girolamo scored in the 2–1 defeat, but also sustained suspected ligament damage to his knee, ruling him out for the remainder of the season.
Following his recovery from injury, he was called up to the Italy under-19 squad for a friendly against Germany under-19s in March 2014, scoring in a 1–1 draw. In September 2014, De Girolamo was called up to the Italy under-20 squad for a four-team friendly tournament to be played that month, appearing against Poland on 9 September.
- As of match played 25 April 2015.
|Club||Season||League||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Sheffield United||2012–13||League One||2||0||0||0||0||0||1[a]||0||3||0|
|York City (loan)||2014–15||League Two||12||4||—||—||—||12||4|
|Northampton Town (loan)||2014–15||League Two||6||0||—||—||—||6||0|
- Appearance in Football League Trophy
- "Diego De Girolamo". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Sheffield United". FootballSquads. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Diego snubs Manc giants for Sheffield United". The Sun (London). 31 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Future hope". Sheffield United F.C. 5 December 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Blades back in promotion picture". ESPN FC. 16 February 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Disappointment for Diego". Sheffield United F.C. 11 March 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Diego back in training". Sheffield United F.C. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Result: Hartlepool United 1, Sheffield United 2 – Jamal Campbell-Ryce seals United’s passage to the next round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.". Sheffield Star. 7 October 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "York City sign Sheffield United forward Diego de Girolamo". BBC Sport. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- Flett, Dave (1 November 2014). "York City hang on to Cheltenham match-winner Diego De Girolamo". The Press (York). Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Games played by Diego De Girolamo in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Diego De Girolamo recalled by Sheffield United from loan at York City". The Press (York). 4 November 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Diego De Girolamo Returns". York City F.C. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Flett, Dave (5 January 2015). "On-loan Peterborough keeper Bobby Olejnik joins York City with view to permanent move". The Press (York). Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- McMath, James (24 January 2015). "Sheffield United’s Diego De Girolamo grabs Cup draw at Preston". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Sheffield Utd: Jamie Murphy and Terry Kennedy sign new deals". BBC Sport. 31 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Sheffield United: Diego De Girolamo to exit club in summer". BBC Sport. 16 February 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "Diego De Girolamo: Sheffield United forward returns to York". BBC Sport. 17 February 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- Flett, Dave (19 March 2015). "With new video: York City boss Russ Wilcox on Diego departure: "Nothing surprises me anymore in football"". The Press (York). Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Shield, James (16 May 2015). "Sheffield United: Two more leave the Lane". Sheffield Star. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Diego De Girolamo: Sheffield United forward signs two-year deal". BBC Sport. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Italy legend wins duel for Diego". Sheffield Star. 4 January 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Diego call up". Sheffield United F.C. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Belgium 0 Italy 1". Valentin Granatkin Memorial. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Caps to come as Diego scores in 'perfect game'". Sheffield Star. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Mixed news on injury front". Sheffield Telegraph. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Jones, Simon (6 March 2014). "De Girolamo nets for Italy U19s as England remain keen to call up young Blades striker". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Further call-ups for Blades youngsters". Sheffield United F.C. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "14° Torneo "Quattro Nazioni" – Italia U20 vs Polonia U20 1–3" (in Italian). Tutto Nazionali. 9 September 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Games played by Diego De Girolamo in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- "Squad stats: 2013/14". Soccerbase. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diego De Girolamo.|