Fabbrini in Watford colours in 2014
|Full name||Diego Fabbrini|
|Date of birth||31 July 1990|
|Place of birth||San Giuliano Terme, Italy|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
(on loan from Watford)
|2013||→ Palermo (loan)||8||(1)|
|2014||→ Siena (loan)||10||(1)|
|2015||→ Millwall (loan)||12||(1)|
|2015||→ Birmingham City (loan)||5||(0)|
|2015–||→ Middlesbrough (loan)||0||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 08:17, 3 May 2015 (UTC).
Diego Fabbrini (born 31 July 1990) is an Italian international professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for English club Middlesbrough on loan from Watford. He previously played for Empoli, Udinese, Palermo, Siena, Millwall and Birmingham City.
He made his first team debut in August 2009. On his first season as a professional player, at 19 years old, he became a regular and obtained 56 appearances and 1 goal in the Serie B league.
On 31 August 2010, Udinese signed Fabbrini along with Gabriele Angella in co-ownership deal for €3 million. As part of the deal, Ricardo Chará and Flavio Lazzari joined Empoli, also in co-ownership deal for a peppercorn. While Fabbrini would spend the 2010-11 season with Empoli.
Fabbrini returned to Udine in 2011–12 season and made his competitive debut on 24 August 2011, the second leg against Arsenal at home, replacing attacking midfielder Giampiero Pinzi and got yellow card at 88min in the same game.
On 31 August 2012 Udinese bought the remaining 50% registration rights from Empoli and Daniele Mori in co-ownership deal, also from Empoli for €2.4 million. On 25 September 2011 he made his Serie A debut, in the away match against Cagliari. On 2 May 2012 he scored his first Serie A goal in a match won 1-0 against Cesena.
In November 2012 he signed a new 5-year contract with Udinese.
On 19 July 2013, Fabbrini was one of seven Udinese players to sign for Watford on permanent deals, signing a contract until 2017. Fabbrini made his debut as a substitute in a 1-0 win away to Birmingham City on 3 August 2013. He scored his first goal for the club on 17 August, in a 3-3 draw against Reading.
Fabbrini signed for Millwall on 15 January 2015 on a 93-day loan deal. He made his Millwall debut two days later against Ipswich Town, losing 3-1. Fabbrini made eleven starts under Ian Holloway's management, scoring once, but played only a few minutes in Millwall's three matches following Holloway's dismissal on 10 March. On the last day of the loan window, 26 March, Watford recalled him from Millwall and loaned him to fellow Championship club Birmingham City for the rest of the season.
An unused substitute for Birmingham's next match, Fabbrini was expected to start in the visit to AFC Bournemouth three days later, but broke his nose in training. He received treatment in Italy and returned wearing a protective mask to start the 2–1 win against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 11 April, replacing Andy Shinnie in the playmaker role. He finished the season with five appearances.
He made his debut for the Italy U-21 on 3 September 2010 in a qualification match against Bosnia Herzegovina played in Sarajevo. He scored his first goal for the U-21s on 24 March 2011, in a friendly against Sweden.
- "The Football League Limited: Club list of registered players as at 16th May 2015" (PDF). The Football League. 16 May 2015. p. 35. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Scheda anagrafica di Diego Fabbrini". aic.football.it. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Diego Fabbrini". U.S. Città di Palermo. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Empoli FC SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2011 (Italian), [http://www.registroimprese.it PDF purchased from Italian CCIAA}
- "Gabriele Angella è un giocatore dell'Udinese". Udinese Calcio (in Italian). 31 August 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Empoli FC SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2012 (Italian), [http://www.registroimprese.it PDF purchased from Italian CCIAA}
- "Fabbrini 100% bianconero, Mori a metà, ma resta all'Empoli." [Fabbrini 100% "White-Black", Mori half, and returns to Empoli.]. Udinese Calcio (in Italian) (www.udinese.it). 31 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Fabbrini rinnova fino al 2017!" (in Italian). Udinese Calcio. 17 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "ANCORA DUE ACQUISTI; PRESI FAURLIN E FABBRINI" [TWO MORE SIGNINGS; FAURLIN AND FABBRINI IN] (in Italian). U.S. Città di Palermo. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Watford confirm permanent signings of seven Udinese players" BBC Sport. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Birmingham 0-1 Watford" BBC Sport. 3 August 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Reading 3-3 Watford" BBC Sport. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "In arrivo Fabbrini dal Watford" [Fabbrini arrives from Watford] (in Italian). A.C. Siena. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Bodell, Tom (26 March 2015). "Watford forward Diego Fabbrini has joined Birmingham City on loan after his stay at Millwall was cut short". Watford Observer. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Games played by Diego Fabbrini in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Dick, Brian (8 April 2015). "Birmingham City hopeful of Diego Fabbrini return for Wolves visit". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Dick, Brian (11 April 2015). "Updated: Birmingham City 2 Wolves 1 – report and stats as Blues guarantee their safety". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "Confirmed: Italian Midfielder Diego Fabbrini Completes Season Long Loan Move From Watford". Middlesbrough FC. 27 July 2015.
- "England 2–1 Italy" BBC Sport. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2013.