Poyet with West Ham, July 2014
|Full name||Diego Poyet González|
|Date of birth||8 April 1995|
|Place of birth||Zaragoza, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|West Ham United|
|2014–||West Ham United||3||(0)|
|2014||→ Huddersfield Town (loan)||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:39, 10 January 2015 (UTC).
Diego Poyet González (born 8 April 1995) is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for West Ham United. He began his career at Charlton Athletic, where he was their 2013–14 Player of the Season despite not featuring in the first team until January. In July 2014, he was signed by West Ham.
Poyet made his professional debut on 21 January 2014 in a 3–0 FA Cup third-round win over Oxford United, entering the match as an 81st-minute substitute for Dale Stephens. He made his first league start for Charlton on 1 February in a 2–1 defeat away to Wigan Athletic. After making these appearance, manager Chris Powell expected Poyet to make more appearances.
West Ham United
Poyet joined West Ham United on 8 July 2014, signing a four-year contract with West Ham and Charlton reaching a settlement for compensation. His father, Gus, manager of Sunderland, was also keen to sign Poyet, but backed away, citing fear of nepotism which could have caused conflict in the dressing room.
On 23 August he made his debut, against Crystal Palace, coming on in the 83rd minute for Mauro Zárate in a 3–1 away win. Four days later he started for the first time, playing the full 120 minutes and scoring in the penalty shoot-out as West Ham lost at home to Sheffield United in the second round of the League Cup.
On 7 November 2014, Poyet joined Huddersfield Town of the Championship on a one-month youth loan until 6 December 2014. He was signed by Powell, his former manager at Charlton. The day after he signed, Poyet was an unused substitute as Huddersfield lost 3–1 away at Fulham. He made his début on 22 November at the John Smith's Stadium, playing the full 90 minutes in a goalless draw against Sheffield Wednesday. He played the next game against Bolton Wanderers, but was not included in their 2–1 win over Brentford, and returned to West Ham at the end of his loan.
Born in Spain to Uruguayan parents, Poyet was raised in England after his father, Gus, signed for Chelsea in 1997. He is eligible to play for any of these three countries. In January 2014, Poyet stated that he considered himself English but would not turn down an opportunity to represent Uruguay.
Poyet received his first call-up to the England under-20 squad for a match with Romania on 5 September 2014, but withdrew from the squad before the game. Head coach Aidy Boothroyd subsequently stated that "Diego hasn't decided whether he wants to play for Uruguay or not so, rather than wait for him to make his mind up, we have decided to leave him to it".
In February 2015, the Uruguayan Football Association announced their intention to call up Poyet for two games in March 2015 against Portugal and Uzbekistan ahead of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. In March 2015, he made his debut for Uruguay U20 coming-on as a substitute for Mauro Arambarri in a 1-1 draw against France U20 at Clairefontaine.
- As of match played 10 January 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Total|
|West Ham United||2014–15||Premier League||3||0||1||0||1||0||5||0|
|Huddersfield Town (loan)||2014–15||Championship||2||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- "Professional Retain List & Free Transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Charlton Athletic FC on Twitter: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! @CAFCOfficial midfielder Diego Poyet turns 19 today. Many happy returns Diego! #cafc http://t.co/ShEY4Uvdxh
- "Diego Poyet: Un todo terreno con pedigrí" [Diego Poyet: An all-rounder with pedigree]. El Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Premier League Player Profile Diego Poyet". Premier League. Barclays Premier League. 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Diego Poyet". http://www.thefa.com/. The FA. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Introducing the first-year professionals". Charlton Athletic F.C. 9 July 2013. Archived from the original on 29 December 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Oxford Utd 0 – 3 Charlton". http://www.bbc.co.uk/. BBC. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- ""Wigan Athletic 2–1 Charlton"". BBC Sport. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Powell: Plenty more to come from Poyet". Charlton Athletic F.C. 6 February 2014. Archived from the original on 29 December 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Diego Poyet crowned Player of the Year". Charlton Athletic. 5 April 2014. Archived from the original on 29 December 2014.
- "Diego Poyet: Charlton Athletic midfielder set to leave The Valley". bbc
.co .uk. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "CLUB STATEMENT: Diego Poyet". Charlton Athletic F.C. 25 June 2014. Archived from the original on 29 December 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Diego Poyet pens Hammers deal". http://www.whufc.com/. WHUFC. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Charlton agree compensation with West Ham for Diego Poyet". 8 July 2014. Archived from the original on 29 December 2014.
- "Sunderland boss Gus Poyet explains why he did not sign Diego Poyet from Charlton Athletic". Sky Sports. 21 August 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- FT – Crystal Palace 1–3 West Ham United | News | Latest News | News | West Ham United
- "West Ham 1–1 Sheff Utd". BBC Sport. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Midfielder moves to Huddersfield until 6 December". Huddersfield Town A.F.C. 7 November 2014. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Pinard, Brad (7 December 2014). "West Ham starlet makes Upton Park return". London 24. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Fulham 3–1 Huddersfield". BBC Sport. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Huddersfield — Sheff Wed". BBC Sport. 22 November 2014. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Diego Poyet watched dad Gus win the FA Cup with Chelsea... now he's preparing to appear in the fourth round for Charlton". Associated Newspapers Ltd. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "England U19s squad named for Euro training camp". thefa
.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Aidy Boothroyd names U20 squad to face Romania". http://www.thefa.com/. The Football Association. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "England expects for new boss Aidy Boothroyd". http://www.shropshirestar.com/. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "West Ham cedió a Poyet para jugar dos amistosos en marzo" (in Spanish). ovaciondigital.com. 20 February 2015.
- "Poyer makes Uruguay U20 bow". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Taylor, Louise (6 February 2015). "Gus Poyet uses basketball to give Sunderland’s skills a boost". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Games played by Diego Poyet in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Games played by Diego Poyet in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 8 July 2014.