Diego Valdés (Chilean footballer)
|Full name||Diego Alfonso Valdés Contreras|
|Date of birth||30 January 1994|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 January 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 16 September 2018
Valdés was expected to play for the Chile national under-20 football team in the 2013 South American Youth Championship in Argentina. However, he was left out of the team at the last minute by manager Mario Salas.
The team’s performance in Argentina qualified them for a place in the Turkey 2013 under-20 World Cup and when team member Diego Rojas was injured and unable to play, Valdés was selected to take his place.
- Scores and results list Chile's goal tally first.
|1.||8 June 2018||Stadion Miejski, Poznań, Poland||Poland||1–2||2–2||Friendly|
Controversy of Racism
On Sept 10th, 2018, a day before a friendly match between Chile and South Korea, Valdés made with a racist gesture of slanting his eyes with his hands at a fan publicity event. The racist gesture was reported internationally and created furor in Korea resulting in Valdes posting an apology widely seen as inadequate.  The incident was the second racist incident in Korea from visiting South American teams and drew comparison to Colombian football player Edwin Cardona, who was banned for five games by FIFA in 2017 for a similar gesture.
- "Valdes to Morelia". telemundodeportes.com. Telemundo Deportes. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- "Debut with Morelia". sinfoniadegol.com. Serigo Ramirez. 2016-03-13. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- Otra baja por lesión para la Sub 20: Diego Rojas quedó descartado para el Mundial www.emol.com June 11, 2013 retrieved June 21, 2013
- "Chile boss Jorge Sampaoli names home-based squad for USA friendly". ca2015.com. 21 January 2015. Archived from the original on 19 November 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Valdés, Diego". National Football Teams. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- "Chile international Valdes apologizes for derogatory gesture". washingtonpost.com. John Duerden. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Tottenham's Heung-Min Son makes a fool of 'racist' Chilean midfielder Diego Valdes". 101greatgoals.com. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Chile footballer Diego Valdes apologises for 'racist' gesture posing with South Korean fan ahead of international friendly". scmp.com.com. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Diego Valdes Makes Half-Assed Apology For Racist Gesture, But Justice Is Served By Son Heung-min". the18.com. the18. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Chile international Diego Valdes forced to apologise after making 'racist' gesture towards South Korea fan". mirror.co.uk. Mirror. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Chile's Diego Valdes apologises for eye gesture ahead of South Korea match". espn.com. ESPN. 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
|This biographical article related to a Chilean association football midfielder is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|