||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Diego Valeri in 2015
|Full name||Diego Hernán Valeri|
|Date of birth||1 May 1986|
|Place of birth||Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Porto (loan)||12||(0)|
|2010||→ Almería (loan)||9||(0)|
|2013||→ Portland Timbers (loan)||20||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 March 2017.
Diego Hernán Valeri (born 1 May 1986) is an Argentine footballer who plays for Portland Timbers as a playmaking midfielder. Valeri had won MLS Newcomer of the year award in 2013 in his first season with Portland and has won the both the 2015 Conference Finals and MLS Cup.
Valeri started his professional career with his hometown club Lanús in 2003. He made his debut for Lanús under the direction of Miguel Ángel Brindisi on 27 September 2003 in a 1–1 draw with Vélez Sársfield. In 2007, he was part of the squad that won the 2007 Apertura tournament, Lanús' first ever top flight league title.
On 16 July 2009, Valeri was loaned to Portuguese champion Porto, where he played one season, winning the Portuguese Cup. He then spent six months on-loan at Spanish UD Almería. In 2011, Valeri rejoined Lanús, and captained the team in their 2011 Clausura runner-up campaign.
In January 2013, Valeri was loaned to Portland Timbers of Major League Soccer on a contract paying $400,000 annually. Portland exercised its option to buy on 6 August 2013. Valeri has been touted as a great addition to the team, as he has recorded 22 goals (one goal coming in the playoffs) and 27 assists in his first two seasons.
On 6 December 2015, Valeri scored the fastest goal in MLS Cup history in a Portland Timbers 2–1 win over Columbus Crew at the 27 second mark after Crew goalkeeper Steve Clark miscontrolled his defender's back-pass, allowing Valeri to strike at the opportunity; his decisive performances in Portland's MLS Cup victory led him to be awarded the 2015 MLS Cup MVP Award.
On 10 August 2016, the Portland Timbers announced the signing of Valeri to a three-year extension, keeping him in Portland through the 2019 MLS season.
- Argentine Primera División (1): 2007 Torneo Clausura
- F.C. Porto
- Portland Timbers
- MLS Cup (1): 2015
- Western Conference (playoffs) (1): 2015
- Western Conference (regular season) (1): 2013
- MLS Cup MVP: 2015
- MLS Best XI: 2013, 2014
- MLS All-Star: 2014, 2016 (Inactive)
- MLS Newcomer of the Year: 2013
- Timbers Supporters Player of the Year: 2014
- "Argentine playmaker Valeri on board as Timbers' new DP". MLS Soccer. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Nick Firchau & Diego Pinzón. "Source: Timbers offering loan deal for Argentine MF Valeri". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Portland Timbers purchase contract of midfielder Diego Valeri, sign to new multiyear contract". Portland Timbers.
- "Diego Valeri Finds Prosperity in Portland". MLSsoccer.com. 24 August 2013. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "FCB muss sich MLS-Allstars geschlagen geben". FC Bayern München. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Itel, Dan (6 August 2014). "MLS 2, Bayern Munich 1 | AT&T MLS All-Star Game Recap". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Diego Valeri scores fastest goal in MLS Cup history as Portland Timbers take early lead". MLS Soccer. 6 December 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "Diego Valeri named MLS Cup Most Valuable Player". MLS Soccer. 6 December 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2015.