Diesel Loco Shed, Golden Rock
Diesel Loco Shed, Golden Rock
|Location||Golden Rock, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Operator(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Rolling stock||YDM–4, WDM-2, WDP–3A, WDG–3A, WDS–6, WDP–4B, WDP–4D and DEMU (700 Hp and 1400 Hp)|
Diesel Loco Shed, Golden Rock is a engine shed located in Golden Rock, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu in India. It is located north of Ponmalai (Golden Rock) railway station, falling under Tiruchirappalli railway division. Of the four loco sheds in the Southern Railway zone, this is the largest among them.
History and developments
It was on 25 December 1971, the then railway minister K. Hanumanthaiya laid foundation stone for the loco shed and was finally opened in 1975 at an total area of 169,000 square metres (170,000 m2) and covered area of 19,600 square metres (20,000 m2). It initially homed YDM–4 class MG locomotives, and was once expanded in 1993 to hold BG locomotives and again in 2000 to home more than 100 BG locos.
Initially the shed had facilities to serve MG locos only. Upon expansion, the bays and catwalks were converted from meter gauge to broad gauge standards to home BG locos. Later, the shed went for a major expansion of its bays at a cost of ₹14 crore (US$2.2 million) to undertake maintenance activity for the unconventionally longer high-speed 4,000–Hp and 4,500–Hp EMD locos, which were homed since July 2011, thus becoming the first-of-its-kind shed in India to maintain such high powered locos, which were extensively utilised for both passenger and freight services. The shed also houses a Diesel Traction and Training Centre (DTTC), opened on 7 April 1988, to impart theoretical and practical training for the newly recruited Assistant Loco Pilots, Engineers and other technical staffs. The centre only one of its kind in the zone also conducts periodical refresher courses for the in-service staffs of Indian Railways, and also too railway personnels from other countries. The DTTC along with Zonal Railway Training Institute (ZRTI), Trichy made a mark by imparting training to women, by which Narayana Vadivu and Jhansi Rani, became the first all women loco crew in the history of Southern Railway zone piloting a goods train on the chord line.
The shed, headed by Senior Divisional Mechanical Engineer (Diesel), has about 750 employees in different ranks in the day-to-day operations of the shed, which include periodical overhaul, maintenance and repair works. The locos of this shed were thoroughly traverses over entire South India for passenger and freight services.
- "Mechanical Engineering - Diesel Loco Sheds, Southern Railway". Indian Railways. Railway Board. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "About us". Southern Railway zone. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- R. Rajaram (25 July 2013). "Golden Rock Loco Shed named the best". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Diesel Loco Shed, Golden Rock - About" (PDF). Indian Railways. Railway Board. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 April 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "New bays opened at Golden Rock Diesel Loco Shed". The Hindu. Tiruchi. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "New broad gauge bay inaugurated at Golden Rock workshop". The Times of India. 3 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Goldenrock training programme a hit with Sudan railway staff". The Hindu. 17 February 2006. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Divisional Training Centres to come up". The Hindu. 25 March 2006. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- R. Rajaram (30 September 2013). "Southern Railway deploys women to pilot goods train". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Chapter 2 : Assessment, Procurement/ Production, Utilisation and Maintenance of Locomotives in Indian Railways". Comptroller and Auditor General of India. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- J Arockiaraj (6 September 2013). "Locomotive failures affecting train operations in Madurai division". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Awadhesh Kumar, Ahirwar; Dr.M.K.gour, Abhishek Khare (January 2013). "Strategic analysis for reliability of diesel locomotives of Indian Railways" (PDF). International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Development. 1 (3): 491–505. ISSN 2249-6149. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- S. N. Gandhare; T. A. Madankar; D. R. Ikhar. "Re-Scheduling Of Maintenance Tasks for Diesel Locomotive (ZDM) Maintenance Work Using FMEA Technique-An Industrial Engineering Approach for Saving the Resources" (PDF). IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE): 47–54. ISSN 2278-1684. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diesel Loco Shed, Golden Rock.|