||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
Dieter Laser at Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival, in April 2010
17 February 1942 |
Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Laser was born in Kiel, Germany. He is known to English speaking audiences for his roles as Mantrid in Lexx, Prof. Otto Blaettchen in The Ogre, Dr. Josef Heiter in The Human Centipede (First Sequence) and Bill Boss in The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence).
In 1975, he was awarded the German Film Award in Gold in the category of Best Actor for his title role in John Glückstadt.
During the filming of The Human Centipede, many crew members and leading actors described Laser as being a "Method Actor". On the days of filming he did not speak to the cast very often and would stay in character as much as he possibly could. Dieter Laser was among some of director Tom Six's preferences to play Dr Heiter, and Six was impressed with Laser's work after seeing him in some of his earlier films. For his performance, Laser won Best Actor at the Austin Fantastic Fest and was nominated for the LA Scream Awards for Best Villain in 2010. He returned for the final installment of the franchise after refusing to play the part at first.
Laser will star in the Estonian fantasy film Jesus' Blood and Red Currants (shooting November 2015) and in the German Nazisploitation comedy Sky Sharks.
- 1968 – In the Jungle of Cities (Im Dickicht der Städte), as Collie Couch alias "The Pavian"
- 1973 - Desaster, as Alf Harden
- 1974 - Ermittlungen gegen Unbekannt, as Günter Riegand
- 1974-1976 – Das Blaue Palais (TV-series), as Enrico Polazzo
- 1975 – John Glückstadt, as John Glückstadt
- 1975 – The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, as Werner Toetges
- 1975 - Die letzten Ferien, as Miguel
- 1976 - The Elixirs of the Devil, as Medardus
- 1977 - Operation Ganymed, as Don
- 1978 - Germany in Autumn
- 1978 - The Glass Cell (Oscar nominated: Best Foreign Language Film), as David Reinald
- 1986 - Väter und Söhne – Eine deutsche Tragödie (mini series), as Friedrich Deutz
- 1990 – The Man Inside, as Leonard Schroeter
- 1991 - Meeting Venus, as Hans von Binder
- 1993 – Kaspar Hauser, as Ludwig I. von Bayern
- 1996 - Conversation with the Beast, as Peter Hollsten
- 1996 – The Ogre, as Prof. Otto Blaettchen
- 1997 – Shanghai 1937 (Hotel Shanghai), as Dr. Hain
- 2002 – Big Girls Don't Cry, as Mr. Winter
- 2002 - Fuhrer Ex, as Eduard Kellermann
- 2003 - Baltic Storm, as Gehrig
- 2006 - Ich bin die Andere, as Bruno
- 2009 – The Human Centipede (First Sequence), as Dr. Josef Heiter
- 2015 - The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence), as Bill Boss
- 2015 – Sky Sharks
- The New York Times
- Lexx Domain - Cast
- "Fantastic Fest Thrills Up Prize Winners". Indiewire.
- "Dieter Laser - Awards". Imdb.
- "Director Tom Six's company threatens to sue star Dieter Laser". Entertainment Weekly.
- "Dieter Laser on Centipedes, Sky Sharks and Jesus’ Blood - Interview with the man behind Bill Boss and Dr. Heiter". screen/read.
- Dieter Laser Wants to Battle Some Sky Sharks
- Dieter Laser at the Internet Movie Database
- Dieter Laser at AllMovie
- Official Facebook site of Dieter Laser
|This article about a German film and television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|