|Mayor of Freiburg|
2002 – 30 June 2018
|Preceded by||Rolf Böhme|
|Succeeded by||Martin Horn|
|Born||9 August 1960|
|Political party||Alliance '90/The Greens|
|Occupation||Politician, Mayor, retired from politics 30 June 2018|
Dieter Salomon (born 9 August 1960 in Melbourne, Australia) is a German politician and was mayor of Freiburg im Breisgau for two terms from 2002 until 2018. He is a member of the Alliance '90/The Greens.
Dieter Salomon grew up in the German Allgäu. He received his Abitur in 1979 in Oberstdorf, and moved to Freiburg to study Political Science, Public Finance, and Roman Philology. He received a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Freiburg in 1991. During his time as a student, he became active in the local chapter of the Alliance '90/The Greens.
He was married to Helen Hall-Salomon, and has one child from a previous marriage. Since 2011, he lived separated from his wife. At the end of 2015, he married his new partner in Melbourne, Helga Mayer.
From 1990 until 2000, Salomon was a member of Freiburg city council, and was a member of the Landtag of Baden-Württemberg from 1992. From April 2002, he was the head of the Baden-Württemberg Green Party fraction, and lead candidate for state elections.
Salomon became mayor of Freiburg on 1 July 2002, after receiving 64.4% of votes on the second ballot held on 5 May 2002, thereby becoming the first Green mayor of a large German city, and only the second or third in the whole of Germany. Once elected mayor of Freiburg, he resigned his position in the Landtag. Within the Green Party, he is considered a Realo.
Salomon was defeated in the mayoral election of 6 May 2018 by surprise winner Martin Horn. The second round voting result was Martin Horn 44,3% - Dieter Salomon 30,7%. Martin Horn won by the 2nd round simple majority rule.
In a post declaration interview with the media Salomon announced his retirement from politics.
- Abfallwirtschaft und Stadtreinigung Freiburg (ASF), Ex-Officio Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2002-2018)
- Badenova, Ex-Officio Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2002-2018)
- Freiburger Stadtbau (FSB), Ex-Officio Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2002-2018)
- L-Bank, Member of the Supervisory Board (2002-2018)
- LBBW Immobilien, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Messe Freiburg, Ex-Officio Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2002-2018)
- Association of German Cities, Deputy Member of the Presidium (2004-2018)
- Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Member of the Board of Trustees
- University of Freiburg, Member of the Advisory Board
- Salomon, Dieter (1992). Grüne Theorie und graue Wirklichkeit: die Grünen und die Basisdemokratie (in German). Freiburg: Arnold-Bergstraesser-Institut. ISBN 978-3-928597-03-6. OCLC 32350409.
- Thaa, Winfried; Salomon, Dieter; Gräber, Gerhard (1994). Grüne an der Macht: Widerstände und Chancen grün-alternativer Regierungsbeteiligungen (in German). Cologne: Bund-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7663-2521-1. OCLC 31605999.
- Zeitung, Badische. "OB Salomon trennt sich von seiner Ehefrau - Freiburg - Badische Zeitung". www.badische-zeitung.de (in German). Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Lebenslauf auf der Homepage der Stadt Freiburg Archived 18 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- OB Dieter Salomon und Helga Mayer haben in Melbourne geheiratet in: Badische Zeitung vom 11. Januar 2016. Retrieved, 11 January 2016.
- Ordentliche Mitglieder der 15. Bundesversammlung Bundestag.
- About Us Abfallwirtschaft und Stadtreinigung Freiburg (ASF).
- Supervisory Board Badenova.
- Supervisory Board Freiburger Stadtbau GmbH (FSB).
- Supervisory Board Archived 27 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine L-Bank.
- Supervisory Board LBBW Immobilien.
- Supervisory Board Badenova.
- Advisory Board University of Freiburg.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: de:Dieter Salomon|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dieter Salomon.|