Dietikon railway station
The current station building
Canton of Zürich,
|Elevation||388 m (1,273 ft)|
|Owned by||SBB CFF FFS (Swiss Federal Railways)|
|Operated by||SBB CFF FFS, BDWM Transport|
|Rebuilt||1860s and 1970s|
Dietikon railway station is a railway station in Switzerland, situated in the canton of Zürich and the city of Dietikon. The station is located on the Swiss Federal Railway's Zürich to Olten main line and is also the terminus of the metre gauge Bremgarten–Dietikon railway (BD).
The first station on the site was built by the Swiss Northern Railway in 1847, as part of their pioneering line from Zürich to Baden, and hence was one of the first railway stations in Switzerland. The original station building was constructed on the northern side of the railway line and still exists, albeit now used as a rail enthusiasts' club.
The original station was replaced in the 1860s by a new building on the southern, city centre, side of the line. This in turn was replaced in the 1970s by the current large station building on the same side of the line.
The station has five through platforms on the main line, and two terminal platforms on the Bremgarten–Dietikon railway. Whilst the Bremgarten–Dietikon terminal platforms are alongside their main line equivalents, trains approach them via street running track through the centre of Dietikon and across the station frontage. Also in the station frontage is a large covered bus station, used by local and regional bus services.
For most of the day, line S3 provides 2 train per hour (tph) to Zürich and Wetzikon and 1 tph to Lenzburg and Aarau. Line S12 provides 2 tph to Zürich and Winterthur and 2 tph to Baden and Brugg. Line S17 provides 2 tph to Wohlen, with an additional 2 tph as far as Bremgarten on weekdays only. Line S19 provides 2 tph to Zürich and Effretikon, with some peak hour trains extended in the opposite direction to Koblenz. Additionally there is a single InterRegio train per hour between Zurich Airport and Basel SBB that calls at Dietikon in both directions.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-02-22. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Stutz, Werner (1983). Bahnhöfe der Schweiz, von den Anfängen bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg [Stations of Switzerland, from its origins to the First World War] (in German). Zürich: Orell Füssli.
- "Departure Bahnhof Dietikon" (PDF). BDWM Transport AG. 2010-12-12. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Koblenz–Dietikon–Zürich HB–Effretikon–Pfäffikon ZH" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-03-13. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Media related to Dietikon railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Dietikon station on Swiss Federal Railway's web site