Dietrich Georg von Kieser
He studied medicine at the Universities of Würzburg and Göttingen, receiving his doctorate from the latter institution in 1804. For most of his career he was a professor at the University of Jena, where from 1824 to 1862 he served as a "full professor".
He was an advocate of balneology, and beginning in 1813 was a physician at the therapeutic spas at Heilbad Berka/Ilm. While working as a professor at the University of Jena, Kieser operated a private ophthalmology clinic from 1831 to 1847, and from 1847 until 1858 he was director of the mental hospital in Jena.
With Adam von Eschenmayer and Christian Friedrich Nasse, he published the 12-volume Archiv für den thierischen Magnetismus ("Archive for animal magnetism"). Kieser was politically active throughout his career; in October 1817 with philosophers Lorenz Oken and Jakob Friedrich Fries, he partook in the historic Wartburg Festival. In 1858 he was named president of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina. He died in Jena.
- Archiv für den thierischen Magnetismus (Archive for animal magnetism); (1817 ff).
- Elemente der Physiatrik (Elements of the physiatric); (1855).
- This was the first textbook illustrated with photographs.
- Grundzüge der Anatomie der Pflanzen (General outline of plant anatomy); (1815).
- Grundzüge der Pathologie und Therapie des Menschen (General outline of pathology and therapy of humans); (1812).
- Über die Emancipation des Verbrechers im Kerker (On the emancipation of the criminal in prison); (1845).
- Von den Leidenschaften und Affecten (1848).
- Heather Wolffram (2009). The Stepchildren of Science: Psychical Research and Parapsychology in Germany, Ic/I. 1870-1939. Rodopi. pp. 49–. ISBN 978-90-420-2728-2. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Sander L. Gilman (1995). Freud, Race, and Gender. Princeton University Press. pp. 132–. ISBN 978-0-691-02586-5. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- ADB:Kieser, Dietrich Georg von In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 15, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1882, S. 726–730.
- Kieser, Dietrich Georg von In: Neue Deutsche Biographie
- Contributions to the history and improvement of the German universities by Karl Von Raumer
- Kieserite Mindat.org
- Suren Lalvani (1996). Photography, Vision, and the Production of Modern Bodies. SUNY Press. pp. 129–. ISBN 978-1-4384-0993-1. Retrieved 30 June 2013.