Digambar Jain Mahasabha
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The symbol of Jainism, the Jain Prateek Chihna
zone of influence
|Formation||January 1, 1894|
|Type||Jain religious organisation|
|Purpose||Religious, Educational, Non Profit, Charitable|
|Headquarters||Lucknow, New Delhi, Mumbai India|
|Hindi and English|
|Prakash Chand Badjatya|
Chairman of the Board
|Nirmal Kumar Jain Sethi|
|Board of directors|
|Affiliations||Various Jain organisations|
|Remarks||Oldest organisation of lay Jains|
|Part of a series on|
The Digambar Jain Mahasabha was founded in 1894 in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. It is considered a traditionalist organisation. Its two main branches are Dharm Sanrakshini Mahasabha and Teerth Sanrakshini Mahasabha.
The first President of The Digambar Jain Mahasabha was Laxmandas Tongya. In 1941, the leadership of the Mahasabha was handed over by Seth Hukumchand of Indore to Bhagchand Soni at the Shravanabelagola convention. Later leaders included Rajkumar Singh, Bhanvarilala Bakliwal, Raisahab Chandmal Pandya, and Likhamichand Chhabra. The present leader is Nirmal Kumar Jain Sethi, who has been in office since 1981 and is now the longest serving president in the history of the organisation. Raj Kumar Sethi, son of late Phulchand Sethi is the working president of the organisation. Binod Sethi, son of late Phulchand Sethi, of Dimapur is the Vice-President of the Teerth Sanrakshini Mahasabha
Jain Gazette, a weekly publication of Dharm Sanrakshini Mahasabha, has been published regularly for the last 103 years. It claims to be the oldest Jain periodical in the world.
- Trilokchand Kothari, Di. Jain Mahasabha ka Atit (1895-1980), Pub. Digambar Jain Mahasabha karyalaya, 2007
- Facets of Jainology: Selected Research Papers on Jain Society, By Vilas Adinath Sangave Published 2001, Popular Prakashan.
- table of Presidents since 1894
- "Founders, Past Presidents | Welcome To Shri Bharatvarshiya Digamber Jain Mahasabha". Digjainmahasabha.org. Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- "Shri Bharatvarshiya Digamber Jain Mahasabha". Digambarjainonline.com. 1998-02-05. Retrieved 2012-05-26.