This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Digby Tantam (born 15 March 1948) is a British psychiatrist and Professor of Psychotherapy. He is currently Clinical Professor of Psychotherapy at the University of Sheffield; a prolific advocate of electroconvulsive therapy in the 1980s, a Consultant Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist, Sheffield Care Trust; and a partner at Dilemma Consultancy Ltd. His main research interests are social and emotional wellbeing, emotional contagion, nonverbal communication, applied philosophy, and autism spectrum disorders.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He has been providing a clinical service for people with autistic spectrum disorders since 1980, when he was awarded a training fellowship from the Medical Research Council (United Kingdom) to study Asperger syndrome. He created the Sheffield Asperger Assessment Service in 1995 when he moved to Sheffield from the University of Warwick, where he had been appointed to the first chair in psychotherapy in the UK.
He has authored 70 refereed publications, 32 book chapters, 36 other publications, 7 websites, 5 videotapes, and 9 books (1 translated into Polish, Japanese, and Arabic).
He is married to Professor Emmy van Deurzen.
- Goldberg, D.P. & Tantam, D. (eds.) (1990) The Public Health Impact of Mental Disorder, Hogrefe and Huber, Bern, 238pp
- Greenberg, M., Shergill, S., Szmukler, G., Tantam, D. (2002) Narratives in Psychiatry, Jessica Kingsley
- Greenberg, M., Szmukler, G & Tantam, D. (1986) Making Sense of Psychiatric Cases, Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Strang, J., Donmall, M., Webster, A., Abbey, J., Tantam, D. (1991) A Bridge Not Far Enough: Community Drug Teams and Doctors in the North Western Region, ISDD Research Monograph 3. London: Institute for the Study of Drug Dependence
- Tantam, D. (1988, 1991, 2000) A Mind of One's Own; National Autistic Society: London, 35pp, 1988. Polish translation 1996 in Autistic Child 4, 1, 4-19 and 4,2, 4-13, Japanese translation, Arabic translation 2005
- Tantam, D. and Birchwood, M. (eds. 1994) College Seminars in Psychology and Social Sciences, London: Gaskell Press
- Tantam, D., Duncan, A. and Appleby, L. (eds. 1996) Psychiatry for the Developing World, Gaskell Press
- Tantam, D. (ed. 1998) Clinical Topics in Psychotherapy, Gaskell Press
- Tantam, D. (2002) Psychotherapy and Counselling in Practice, Cambridge University Press
- Tantam, D. (2014) Emotional Well-being and Mental Health: A Guide for Counsellors & Psychotherapists, SAGE Publications Ltd