7.8.0 / 29 August 2022
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Linux, Windows, macOS|
digiKam runs on most known desktop environments and window managers, as long as the required libraries are installed. It supports all major image file formats, such as JPEG and PNG as well as over 200 raw image formats and can organize collections of photographs in directory-based albums, or dynamic albums by date, timeline, or by tags. Users can also add captions and ratings to their images, search through them and save searches for later use. Using plug-ins, users can export albums to various online services including (among others) 23hq, Facebook, Flickr, Gallery2, Google Earth's KML files, Yandex.Fotki, MediaWiki, Rajce, SmugMug, Piwigo, Simpleviewer, Picasa Web Albums. Plug-ins are also available to enable burning photos to a CD and the creation of web galleries.
digiKam provides functions for organizing, previewing, downloading and/or deleting images from digital cameras. Basic auto-transformations can also be deployed on the fly during picture downloading. In addition, digiKam offers image enhancement tools through its KIPI (KDE Image Plugins Interface) framework and its own plugins, like red-eye removal, color management, image filters, or special effects. digiKam was the only free photo management application on Linux that could handle 16 bit/channel images, until RawTherapee version 4.0 was released in 2011, using a new 32 bits/channel engine for all internal image processing. Digital Asset Management is the mainstay of digiKam.
digiKam features XMP metadata; DNG format reading and writing; a database file that is independent of photo libraries, enabling remote paths, multiple roots and offline archives; Marble integration for geolocation; a non-modal image editor; and live search boxes in both sidebars and the main window.
digiKam has been in development since before 2006.
As of version 0.9 features include a GPS locator and synchronization, iPod Photo upload support, an advanced metadata editor, better support for raw image formats (using dcraw included in digiKam), full color management, a light-table, pan-tool in Image Editor and Preview mode, improvements in usability, and many new plugins.
digiKam 2.0 was released in July 2011, sporting a number of new features, including:
- Face detection and recognition support
- XMP sidecar support
- Reverse geocoding
- Image versioning
- Pick Labels & Color Labels support to improve photographic workflow
- Many new RAW decoding features
Face detection and recognition
Starting with version 2.0, digiKam has introduced face recognition allowing you to automatically identify photos of certain people and tag them. DigiKam's photo manager was the first free project to feature similar functionality, with face recognition previously implemented only in proprietary products such as Google Picasa, Apple iPhoto, and Windows Live Photo Gallery.
Face recognition was implemented in version 2.0 through the libface library, and from version 3.3 it is based on OpenTLD project work. Version 7.0.0-beta1 uses the Deep Neural Network module from the OpenCV library.
- Windows: digiKam is part of the KDE on Windows. The program can be installed with the digiKam-msvc library from KDE Installer.
- There is an official port on Mac OS X that can be compiled from raw or using MacPorts.
- Most Unix-like OSes are also supported.
- Comparison of image viewers
- Shotwell – digital photo manager by GNOME
- List of free and open source software packages
- "Downloads; digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Supported File Formats". KDE. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "digikam is a open-source Photo Management Software". digikam. 22 May 2021. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "GPS locator in action | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "has a new Kipi Plugin to synchronize pictures with a GPS device | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "has a new Kipi Plugin to export pictures to an IPod device | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. 2006-09-22. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Full screenshots review of new Metadata Editor kipi-plugin | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. 2006-10-28. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "video of new digiKam Light Table in action | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "DigiKam 6.0.0 beta 1 is released". 19 August 2018.
- "Installing a package | digiKam - Photo Management Program". 2014-03-25. Archived from the original on 2014-03-25. Retrieved 2019-11-08.
- "wins TUX 2005 Readers Choice Award | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. 2005-09-01. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "wins TUX 2008 Readers Choice Award | digiKam - Photo Management Program". digiKam. 2008-05-02. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Readers' Choice Awards 2010". Linux Journal. Retrieved 2013-10-06.