Type of site
Digital Journal began as a technology and gadget magazine in 1998 and evolved into a global citizen journalist news hub in 2006. The company is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and shares advertising revenue with citizen journalists who report for the site and it has control mechanisms to ensure content is accurate and well written. Contributors submit a sample of writing and are asked to demonstrate expertise to Digital Journal's editorial board. The company has an assignment desk where contributing journalists are informed of news items ripe for press coverage. The Board of Advisors includes: journalist; Jack Kapica, business executive; Andrew Waitman, law professor; Michael Geist, business executive; Kerry Munro and business executive; Jennifer Evans.
- ""About Us", Digital Journal". Digitaljournal.com. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Robyn Young (December 30, 2008). "A citizen reporter for all seasons". Metro Canada. Free Daily News Group Inc. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
What legitimizes the content is the fact the founders and editors are bona fide j-school grads. David Silverberg and Chris Hogg are two of the five 20-something editors behind the scenes at DigitalJournal who work tirelessly day in and day out to ensure the news content on their site is reliable and accurate. ...the company shares its advertising revenues with its reporters.
- Kapica, Jeff (August 16, 2007). "Does Your Backup Need Backup? You Bet [Previously "What if your backup needs backup?"]". Globe and Mail. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Interview with Christopher Hogg from Digital Journal Globe and Mail.
- Duncan Riley (April 22, 2008). "Digital Journal Rev Shares With Their Citizen Journalists". TechCrunch. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Journalism.co.uk:Digital Journal launches revenue sharing for citizen journalists". Blogs.journalism.co.uk. April 24, 2008. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Digital Journal Press release about assignment desk". Digitaljournal.com. February 17, 2009. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Digital Journal announces Board of Advisers featuring well-known venture capitalists, media and Web experts". Newswire.ca. January 19, 2010. Retrieved October 8, 2013.