Logo of Digital Trends
|Slogan||upgrade your lifestyle|
Type of site
|Technology news and information|
|Available in||English, Spanish|
|Owner||Ian Bell, Digital Trends|
|Created by||Ian Bell, Dan Gaul|
|909 (Dec 2015[update])|
Digital Trends is a technology news, lifestyle, and information website that publishes news, reviews, guides, how-to articles, descriptive videos and podcasts about technology and consumer electronics products. With offices in Portland, Oregon, and New York City, Digital Trends is operated by Designtechnica Corp., a media company that also publishes Digital Trends Español, a Spanish-language version of the site, and men's lifestyle site The Manual.
The site offers reviews and information on a wide array of products that have been shaped by technology. That includes consumer electronics products such as smartphones, video games and systems, laptops, PCs and peripherals, televisions, home theater systems, digital cameras, video cameras, tablets, and more.
According to third-party web analytics provider SimilarWeb, the site had over 42 million visits per month, as of April 2016. Digital Trends editorial team is led by Editor-in-Chief Jeremy Kaplan and managing editor Nick Mokey, and guided by co-founders Ian Bell and Dan Gaul.
In May 2009, Digital Trends moved its headquarters from Lake Oswego into the US Bancorp Tower in Downtown Portland, Oregon. The company opened a second office in New York City in 2012. Digital Trends is a privately funded and owned corporation.
The website saw a surge in popularity in recent years; Digital Trends claimed a 100-percent increase in traffic in September 2015, reaching over 24 million unique readers globally and more than 13 million U.S. readers.
In addition to growth, 2015 saw a series of changes for Digital Trends. The site expanded its awards program to include several international trade shows, including Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and IFA in Berlin. It also launched its first car of the year awards and Smart Home awards, underscoring the site’s growing investment in these areas. The company also launched DT Design, an in-house creative ad agency, to focus on branded content and high-impact advertising units.
DT Español was launched in December 2014.
Product News and Reviews
Digital Trends reviews hundreds of products each year within categories such as cell phones, digital cameras, headphones, cars, home theater systems, laptops, tablets, TVs and more. Navigation through these product reviews is performed via Digital Trends’ product filtering engine, which allows users to narrow down the products shown by a given set of specifications such as manufacturer, operating system, and product size.
Products are rated on a 10-point scale represented on the site by half and full stars. The site includes a plain-English explanation of the scale, describing ratings from Exceptional (5 stars) to Garbage (0.5 stars). Users can also submit reviews of products they own. Products of note receive a Recommended Product badge. Standouts receive the Editors’ Choice award. Digital Trends also publishes news and how to features about products, features including interviews, and editorials and opinions.
Videos and Podcasts
Digital Trends creates a wide variety of original videos, including game trailers, game reviews, product hands-on looks, product reviews, movie trailers, and more. Digital Trends broadcasts DT Daily, a news-oriented rundown of the previous day’s top tech stories, hosted for a time by Kacey Montoya, now a general assignment reporter at KTLA 5 in Los Angeles.
The editorial team launched the Trends With Benefits podcast in Oct. 2014. It is hosted by Greg Nibler, the host of the Funemployment Radio and Sportlandia podcasts, and is available as a subscription through iTunes, Stitcher, and as an RSS feed.
The editorial staff of Digital Trends picks best products of the year every December, and has awarded the Top Tech of CES trophies to leading companies at the Consumer Electronics Show for four years. In 2015 the company picked Sling TV as best in show; in 2016 the award – a 3D-printed trophy in the shape of a “Cyber Stag” – was awarded to the Chevy Bolt.
In 2015, Digital Trends expanded its awards program to include other major trade shows, including Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and IFA in Berlin. The company also launched its first car of the year awards, to “spotlight the auto industry at a time of remarkable change,”  and Smart Home awards, which included both Internet of Things products and home appliances.
- Ian Bell, the co-founder of Designtechnica Corporation, serves as the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and publisher of Digital Trends.
- Dan Gaul, the co-founder of Designtechnica Corporation, serves as the CTO (Chief Technical Officer) of Digital Trends.
- Nathan Bell is the CFO (Chief Financial Officer) of Digital Trends.
- Andrew Budkofsky replaced Sean Cullinane as the Vice President of Sales in January 2014. Budkofsky previously led sales and partnerships at Break Media, and held management positions at PodShow, CourtTV, Microsoft, Comedy Central and USA Network.
- Pete Jacobs is the Vice President of Marketing, taking over the role in June 2015. Jacobs held roles at Ubisoft, Viacom, and Univision before joining Digital Trends in 2013. Glenn Chin was previously CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) of Digital Trends, having joined in February 2013.
- Jeremy Kaplan became Editor-in-Chief of Digital Trends in March 2014, after nearly five years working at FoxNews.com and over a dozen years at Ziff Davis Media and PC Magazine.
- Jack Phan joined Digital Trends as VP of Strategy and Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) in June 2015, heading Social Media & Affiliate Marketing strategies. A tech entrepreneur, he’s had successful exits including Quinstreet (NASDAQ: QNST) in 2008, where he served as Sr. Director of Engineering. Jack is a member of Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN) and the Oregon Angel Fund (OAF).
- "Digitaltrends.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
-  SimilarWeb. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- Rossmüller, Nic (May 24, 2006). "Design Technica becomes Digital Trends". LetsGoDigital.
- "Movin’ on up: Digital Trends takes up residence in Big Pink « Silicon Florist".
- "Digital Trends sees record traffic in September « TechInvestorNews".
- "Digital Trends launches in-house ad agency with new work for Scion « Techsite".
- "Product Reviews – Reviews of Cell Phones, TVs, Cameras, and More". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Kacey Montoya". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Top Tech of CES 2016 Award Winners". Digital Trends.
- "Awards". Digital Trends.
- "Corporate Management". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Jeremy Kaplan (8 April 2014). "Editor's Note: Jeremy Kaplan joins Digital Trends - Digital Trends". Digital Trends.