Digital X-ray radiogrammetry
Digital X-ray radiogrammetry (DXR) is a method for measuring bone mineral density (BMD). Digital X-ray radiogrammetry is based on the old technique of radiogrammetry. In DXR, the cortical thickness of the three middle metacarpal bones of the hand is measured in a digital X-ray image. Through a geometrical operation the thickness is converted to bone mineral density. The BMD is corrected for porosity of the bone, estimated by a texture analysis performed on the cortical part of the bone.
Digital X-ray radiogrammetry is primarily used in combination with digital mammography for osteoporosis screening, where same mammography machine that is used to acquire breast X-ray images is also used to acquire a hand image for BMD measurement. Due to high precision, DXR is also used for monitoring change in bone mineral density over time.
- Jorgensen, J. T.; Andersen, P. B.; Rosholm, A.; Bjarnason, N. Hannover (September 2000). "Digital X-ray radiogrammetry: a new appendicular bone densitometric method with high precision". Clinical Physiology. 20 (5): 330–335. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2281.2000.00268.x. PMID 10971543.
- Böttcher, J.; Pfeil, A.; Rosholm, A.; Petrovitch, A.; Seidl, B. E.; Malich, A.; Schäfer, M. L.; Kramer, A.; Mentzel, H. J.; Lehmann, G.; Hein, G.; Kaiser, W. A. (December 2005). "Digital x-ray radiogrammetry combined with semiautomated analysis of joint space widths as a new diagnostic approach in rheumatoid arthritis: A cross-sectional and longitudinal study". Arthritis & Rheumatism. 52 (12): 3850–3859. doi:10.1002/art.21606. PMID 16320332.
- Rosholm, A.; Hyldstrup, L.; Bæksgaard, L.; Grunkin, M.; Thodberg, H. H. (1 November 2001). "Estimation of Bone Mineral Density by Digital X-ray Radiogrammetry: Theoretical Background and Clinical Testing". Osteoporosis International. 12 (11): 961–969. doi:10.1007/s001980170026.
- Friis, M (May 2001). "Digital X-ray Radiogrammetry on Hand X-rays Obtained on Mammographic X-ray Equipment". Bone. 28 (5): S101–S248. doi:10.1016/S8756-3282(01)00454-9.
|This medical diagnostic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- Ott, Susan (7 March 2013). "Bone densitometry, T and Z scores". Osteoporosis and Bone Physiology. Retrieved 1 June 2017.