|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2007)|
Examples of digital integration
Cell phone calendar to public digital calendar (online calendar)
In this example, a user has a cell phone with a calendar, as well as a calendar on the Internet. Digital Integration would allow the user to synchronize the two, and the following features could result:
- The user could plan events and have other users notified.
- If the Public Digital Calendar is integral with a Blog, then the user could write about the event in it.
Building services integration for energy management and building control
A home owner or commercial building manager could utilize digital integration products to connect intelligent services within a built environment.
- An intruder detection or access control system could be used in conjunction with light level sensors to turn lights on and off. So when you walk into a dark room the lights turn on (if you are allowed to be there) and when you leave they turn off behind you, thus making energy savings by preventing lights from being left on.
- The same techniques could be used to control HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) systems.
- Home owners and commercial building managers can use Web based digital integration to control and manage services within their buildings via a web browser interface. The intelligent controllers in Air Conditioning units for example may be "Web Enabled" using digital integration solutions and products.
There is a growing market for these products. Many of the control systems used for security, lighting, HVAC and Fire detection do not conform to any communications protocol standard, so often interface software is used to convert the different languages into a common standard for the building or wide area network.
Some control systems are now being supplied with communications ports that conform to recognized standards such as BACnet, LonTalk or Ethernet many more provide interfaces to and from their own specialised control networks.
Projects/organizations working toward digital integration
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- North Building Technologies Ltd — Building Services Integration Company
- Tyyrrell Systems Ltd — Building Services Integration Company
|This technology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|