This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Digital learning is any type of learning that is accompanied by technology or by instructional practice that makes effective use of technology. It encompasses the application of a wide spectrum of practices including: blended and virtual learning.
Digital Learning is sometimes confused with online learning or e-learning, digital learning encompasses the aforementioned concepts.
A digital learning strategy may include any of or a combination of any of the following:
- adaptive learning
- badging and gamification
- blended learning
- classroom technologies
- learning analytics
- learning objects
- mobile learning e.g. Mobile Phones, Laptops, Computers, iPads.
- personalized learning
- online learning (or e-learning)
- open educational resources (OERs)
- technology-enhanced teaching and learning
- virtual reality
- augmented reality
Through the use of mobile technologies, digital learning can be used whilst travelling as mobile technologies gives us this advantage.
Pedagogies that incorporate digital learning
Digital learning is meant to enhance the learning experience rather than replace traditional methods altogether. Listed below are common pedagogies, or practices of teaching, that combine technology and learning:
- Blended/hybrid learning
- Online learning
- Flipped learning
- 1:1 learning
- Differentiated learning
- Individualized learning
- Personalized learning
- Understanding by Design (UBD)
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
Digital learning tools and resources
There are a plethora of tools and resources online (many that are free) that can be used to create and enhance a digital learning environment. Listed below are resources and tools 21st century teachers can use for digital learning:
- RSS or Social Readers
- Google+ Communities
- YouTube Channels
- Cloud-based Word Processors (i.e. Google Drive)
- File-sharing platforms (i.e. Dropbox)
- Digital Pocket
- Education and Technology
- Online learning in higher education
- Online credentials for learning
- Digital credential
- Distance education
- Information and communications technologies for development
- Open educational resources
- Educational technology in sub-Saharan Africa
- "Teaching with Digital Technologies". www.education.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- "Digital Learning: Data, Trends, and Strategies You Need to Know". www.schoology.com. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- TeachThought. "9 Digital Learning Tools Every 21st Century Teacher Should Be Able to Use".