Type of site
|Social Annotations, Highlighting and Social Bookmarking|
|Launched||July 4, 2006|
Diigo // is a social bookmarking website that allows signed-up users to bookmark and tag Web pages. Additionally, it allows users to highlight any part of a webpage and attach sticky notes to specific highlights or to a whole page. These annotations can be kept private, shared with a group within Diigo, or be forwarded to someone else via a special link. The name "Diigo" is an acronym from "Digest of Internet Information, Groups and Other stuff".
Premium account holders can perform full-text searches of cached copies of bookmarks. A full-text search also searches page URLs, tags and annotations. This means that premium account holders can choose to omit tags that already appear in the text of a page to be bookmarked (although text inside images cannot be searched).
Outside the website, Diigo's graphical user interface includes an optional bookmarklet, or a customizable toolbar, with various search capabilities. Highlight is enabled by a menu, that can either appear automatically when content is selected, or be embedded into the context menu.
On October 25, 2012, the diigo.com domain was hijacked. An unknown attacker changed the authoritative nameserver records ("NS records") for DNS zone DIIGO.COM, temporarily giving control to nameservers at AFRAID.ORG, and causing traffic to be misdirected.
- Diigo V4: Research ~ annotate, archive, organize (flash) (Presentation). Diigo. 2009-09-24. Event occurs at 0:00.
- "Diigo help". Diigo.com. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Full text search". Help.diigo.com. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "Diigo Launches, Nobody Cares". Mashable.com. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Diigo Offers "Social Annotation" Tool - Search Engine Watch". Searchenginewatch.com. Archived from the original on 2008-10-10. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Wauters, Robin. "Diigo Buys Web Page Clipping Service Furl Away From LookSmart". Social.techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-12. Retrieved 2009-03-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-14. Retrieved 2011-02-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2012-10-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- [dead link]
- "diigo.com historical whois information". Who.is. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Diigo for Android". Androidblip.com. Retrieved 2016-08-11.