Dillard High School
|Dillard High School|
|2501 NW 11th St
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33311-5796
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Grey|
As the first public school for people of African descent in Ft. Lauderdale, Dillard High School incorporated two magnet programs in an effort to integrate and expand the educational horizons of this historic school.
Dillard Center for the Arts (DCA) provides training in dance, music, theater, and visual arts, as well as an academic schedule. Students must demonstrate ability and interest in one of the four artistic areas and exhibit academic potential. Such programs within the music department were keyboard, voice, band, orchestra and commercial music. The chorus, chorale, gospel choir, jazz band and rock band performs in Broward county and the Fort Lauderdale community and their students perform at the local, state, and national levels. Graduates of the magnet program go on to attend some of the top colleges and conservatory programs in the United States, including the Juilliard School of Music, Manhattan School of Music, and Columbia University.
Emerging computer technology
The Emerging computer technology offers courses in digital media, computer programming, robotics, and electronic technology hardware/network support. In addition, Dillard High School offers many advanced placement and honors courses.
As of the 2016-2017 school year, the total student enrollment was 2,078. The ethnic makeup of the school was 2.59% White, 90% Black, 5.63% Hispanic, 0.52% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1.10% Multiracial, and 0.09% Native American or Native Alaskan.
Awards & Accolades
In 2012 The Dillard Center for the Arts Jazz Ensemble had the honor of performing with jazz great Wynton Marsalis as his demonstration band at the Midwest Clinic in December 2012. In both 2011 and 2012 the Jazz Ensemble won the Essentially Ellington competition of Jazz at Lincoln Center. The band, under the direction of director Christopher Dorsey, by 2015 had made its sixth consecutive appearance in the Big Band Jazz competition. Placing among the top three in the other three years that the group made it into the finals.
- Performing artists
- Daniel Bernard Roumain – Composer/violinist/band leader
- Elias Soriano – Heavy metal vocalist
- Jason Derulo c/o 2005 – Singer/songwriter
- Black Violin- Innovative string duo
- Mickey Zetts- Songwriter/playwright
- Matthias Askew – Defensive tackle
- James Bostic – Running back
- Isaac Bruce – Wide receiver (1994-2009 ) Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers
- Chris Gamble – Cornerback (2004-2012 ) Carolina Panthers
- Charlie Goodrum –Offensive lineman
- Quinn Gray – Quarterback (2003-2008 ) Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs and New York Sentinels of the UFL
- Jovan Haye – Defensive tackle (2005- ) Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans
- Louis Holmes – Defensive end (2008) San Francisco 49ers, (2009) Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League (2009)
- Percy Howard – Wide receiver (1975) Dallas Cowboys
- Calvin Jackson – Cornerback
- Tron LaFavor – Defensive tackle
- Stanley McClover – Defensive end (2006-2009) Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans
- Leonard Myers – Cornerback
- Jim Osborne – Defensive tackle
- Frank Sanders – Wide receiver (1995–2003) Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens
- Pat Sims – Defensive tackle (2008-present ) Cincinnati Bengals
- Herman Smith – Defensive end
- Brian Tyms – Wide receiver
- Lorenzo White – Running back (1988–1995) Houston Oilers and Cleveland Browns
- Keyon Dooling – Basketball player (2000–2013) Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets, Milwaukee Bucks, Boston Celtics, and Memphis Grizzlies
- Former Faculty
- Julian Edwin Cannonball Adderley – Jazz alto saxophonist
- FCAT School Grades - High
- Enrollment Counts
- Drew, N. (2012, November 08). Dillard Center for the Arts Jazz Ensemble to perform at annual Midwest Clinic. Retrieved September 27, 2016, from http://thewestsidegazette.com/dillard-center-for-the-arts-jazz-ensemble-to-perform-at-annual-midwest-clinic/
- Stocker and Susan Stocker Staff, M. (2011, May 15). DILLARD BAND WINS NATIONAL JAZZ TITLE. Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL), p. 1B.. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com/resources/doc/nb/news/1373F2129F7F3B80?p=AWNB
- Sun Sentinel – "Dillard High's jazz band back in the bright lights of New York"