Dillard High School
|Dillard High School|
|2501 NW 11th St
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33311-5796
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Grey|
As the first public school for people of African descent in Ft Lauderdale, Dillard High School incorporated two magnet programs in an effort to integrate and expand the educational horizons of this historic school.
Dillard Center for the Arts (DCA) provides training in dance, music, theater, and visual arts, as well as an academic schedule. Students must demonstrate ability and interest in one of the four artistic academic potential. Such programs within the music department were keyboard, voice, band, orchestra and commercial music. The chorus, chorale, gospel choir, jazz band and rock band performs in Broward county and the Fort Lauderdale community and their students and bands perform at the local, state, and national levels. Their students graduate and attend some of the top college and conservatory programs in the United States, including the Juilliard School of Music.
Emerging computer technology
The Emerging computer technology offers courses in digital media, computer programming, robotics, and electronic technology hardware/network support. In addition, Dillard High School offers many advanced placement and honors courses.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 1496. The ethnic makeup of the school was 7% White, 88% Black, 4% Hispanic, 0% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
Awards & Accolades
The Dillard Center for the Arts Jazz Ensemble as of 2015 made its sixth consecutive appearance in the Essentially Ellington competition of Jazz at Lincoln Center. The band, under the direction of director Christopher Dorsey, has won the Big Band Jazz competition twice in the last five years. They also placed among the top three of the other three years that the group made it into the finals.
- Performing artists
- Daniel Bernard Roumain - Composer/violinist/band leader
- Elias Soriano - Heavy metal vocalist
- Jason Derulo c/o 2005 - Singer/songwriter
- Black Violin- Innovative string duo
- Mickey Zetts- Songwriter/playwright
- Pat Sims - Defensive tackle (2008- ) Cincinnati Bengals
- Stanley McClover - Defensive end (2006- ) Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans
- Jovan Haye - Defensive tackle (2005- ) Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans
- Percy Howard - Wide receiver (1975) Dallas Cowboys
- Chris Gamble - Cornerback (2004- ) Carolina Panthers
- Quinn Gray - Quarterback (2003- ) Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs and New York Sentinels of the UFL
- Isaac Bruce - Wide receiver (1994- ) Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers
- Frank Sanders - Wide receiver (1995–2003) Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens
- Lorenzo White - Running back (1988–1995) Houston Oilers and Cleveland Browns
- Louis Holmes - Defensive end (2008) San Francisco 49ers,(2009) Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League (2009)
- Keyon Dooling - Basketball player (2000-2013) Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets, Milwaukee Bucks, Boston Celtics, and Memphis Grizzlies
- Former Faculty
- Julian Edwin Cannonball Adderley - Jazz alto saxophonist
- FCAT School Grades - High
- Enrollment Counts
- Sun Sentinel - "Dillard High's jazz band back in the bright lights of New York"