May 25, 1993 |
|Other names||Dilley siblings|
The Dilley sextuplets (born May 25, 1993) are the United States' first set of surviving sextuplets, born to Becki and Keith Dilley in Indianapolis, Indiana, United States. They are, in birth order;
|Baby Order||Time of Birth||Sex||Birth Weight||Name|
The siblings were the first surviving sextuplets to be born in the USA. All but one of the babies were able to go home after a little while; Julian suffered a congenital hernia, but eventually recovered following an operation.
The parents of the sextuplets, Becki and Keith Dilley, met as co-workers at a Wendy's restaurant in Indiana. They married and attempted to conceive for a year without results. Following consultation with a doctor, they were told they had little chance of conceiving naturally. Following several more years of trying to conceive, they underwent fertility treatment using the drug Pergonal. The sextuplets were conceived as a result of this.
Throughout the pregnancy, all ultrasounds showed five babies. After five had been delivered the doctor reached in to retrieve the placenta and grabbed a foot instead, and said, "There's a sixth baby." Everyone initially thought she was kidding, but she wasn't. The sixth was hiding behind the mother's spleen.
The Dilley children have appeared on a few television segments, but say that they don't want to live life "under a microscope".
Claire is recently divorced and had two children, Emmalynn (b. 2012) and Asher (b. 2014) and Quinn is married to Hannah Carter in December 2015.
- An American film telling the story of the sextuplets' parents prior, and a few years after their births, called Half a Dozen Babies featuring Scott Reeves and Melissa Reeves was made in 1999 for ABC.
- Special Delivery: How We Are Raising America's Only Sextuplets...and Loving It, by Barbara M Dille, Becki Dilley, Sam Stall. Publisher: Random House, Date Published: 1995, ISBN 0-679-43706-1
- Sixty Fingers, Sixty Toes: See How the Dilley Sextuplets Grow, by Becki Dilley, Keith Dilley, E. Anthony Valainis. Publisher: Walker & Company, Date Published: 1997, ISBN 0-8027-8614-6.
- "Bonus Babies". People. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- "Revisiting the Dilley Sextuplets". ABC News. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- RetroIndy: The Dilley Sextuplets | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- "TV movie features Dilley sextuplets". Reading Eagle. Retrieved 28 January 2011.