|Birth name||Dillon Hart Francis|
October 5, 1987 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Dillon Hart Francis (born October 5, 1987) is an American DJ and record producer.
Francis was born in Los Angeles, California to an American father and a Serbian-Croatian mother. Francis has stated that his father, Robert Drew Francis, is an "alternative medicines doctor." He has made a recurring Internet joke about being unable to find his father. Francis has stated that he was very sheltered growing up, claiming that he did not know any swear words until he was 15. He also claims he could not watch TV unless he watched at least two hours of Sesame Street a day.
Francis first rose to fame after gaining the attention of American producer Diplo and eventually collaborating on the song "Que Que", with featured Latin-pop artist Maluca. His song "Masta Blasta", originally a 130 BPM house track, was edited after inspiration from Dutch musician Munchi and eventually ended up as the moombahton track that brought him to fame. In 2010, Francis released his Swashbuckler EP on Play Me Records. In 2012, he also released two singles "I.D.G.A.F.O.S." and "Bootleg Fireworks (Burning Up)". Both are known to be fan favourites. He has released works on multiple labels including Dim Mak Records, Mad Decent and OWSLA.
In February 2012, Francis became the first moombahton artist to achieve the number-one spot atop the Beatport releases chart with the release of his extended play Something, Something, Awesome. In late 2012, he embarked on his Wet & Reckless tour across North America, as well as supporting the English electronic-music trio Nero on their Welcome Reality tour and English musician Flux Pavilion on his Standing on a Hill tour.
In 2013, he announced a headlining Wurld Turr across the USA and Canada, as well as confirming that his debut album would be released in 2013 before later experiencing various delays. He also gained prominence by being announced as one of MTV Clubland's Artists to watch in 2013, alongside acts such as Kill the Noise and Otto Knows. Francis was labeled by MTV as an "artist to watch" as of September 9, 2013. The uprising artist is on his way to becoming one of the most recognized faces in the EDM scene. Francis has performed at many popular music festivals such as Camp Bisco, Electric Daisy Carnival, Coachella, TomorrowWorld, Ultra and Electric Zoo. Francis is also one half of the comedy production duo Meowski666 alongside Kill the Noise and has been linked to internet funny man The Fat Jew. In October 2013 he was announced as number 73 in the DJ Mag Top 100 poll.
His single "Get Low" with DJ Snake was released on 11 February 2014. On March 22, 2014, Francis announced via his official Twitter account that his debut album, entitled Money Sucks, Friends Rule, will be released on October 28, 2014, on Mad Decent and Columbia Records. In August, Dillon released his second single off of the album, which was a collaboration with Sultan + Ned Shepard featuring The Chain Gang of 1974. Beginning in February 2014, Francis embarked on the Friends Rule Tour supporting his debut album. Dates for the tour were booked through January 16, 2015 in 18 different cities across the United States.
On January 1, 2015, Francis revealed to Australian radio station Triple J that he was working on a sketch show pilot for MTV. Francis stated that the show was set to go into production in January 2015. On June 28, 2015, Francis announced his EP This Mixtape Is Fire, which would mark a return to his moombahton roots. The EP features collaborations from Skrillex, Calvin Harris, Chromeo, Bro Safari, and Kygo with James Hersey, along with a remix of 'I Can't Take It' from his album Money Sucks, Friends Rule by Party Favor. He released the first track from the EP 'Bruk Bruk (I Need Your Lovin') the same day.
In 2016, he released three new singles "Need You" in a collaboration with NGHTMRE, "Candy" in a collaboration with Snappy Jit and "Anywhere" with vocals by Will Heard.
On April 5, 2017, Francis released another single "Say Less" in a collaboration with rapper G-Eazy. A few days after the release, Francis made it official through a live stream that he had parted ways with Columbia Records mutually and is looking forward to release music as an independent artist. He has also revealed to his fans that he will be releasing an album as an independent artist and also stated that he would return to his moombahton roots.
- Ahmed, Insanul (2012-03-13) Who Is Dillon Francis? Complex. Retrieved on 2013-03-31.
- Francis, Dillon (March 27, 2012). "@dirtysouth did you know im Serbian and Croatian! My mom was born there before it split up! My name in yugoslavian is drago".[dead link]
- Video (August 21, 2012). "Dillon Francis and Diplo Talk Moombahton". The Creators Project (via YouTube). Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- "Dillon Francis Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Archived from the original on March 30, 2013. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- Staff (n.d.). "Dillon Francis". Mad Decent. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Staff (n.d.). "Dillon Francis". OWSLA. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Database (undated). "Something, Something, Awesome. – Dillon Francis, Kill The Noise". Beatport. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Staff (July 26, 2012). "Dillon Francis – Wet & Reckless Tour Presale!!". Mad Decent. Archived from the original on November 6, 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Marie, Shannon. (2013-01-25) Dillon Francis – Wurld Turr. ElectroJams. Retrieved on 2013-03-31.
- MTV Clubland's Artists To Watch In 2013 – Music, Celebrity, Artist News. MTV.com (2013-01-10). Retrieved on 2013-03-31.
- Brodsky, Rachel. "MTV Artist to Watch: Dillon Francis". Viacom International Inc. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Dillon Francis - Live @ Electric Zoo (New York City) 8.31.2012E".
- "Dillon Francis and Kill The Noise join forces to create Meowski666". Dubstep.NET. 2013-08-02.
- "NSFW: The Fat Jew Had Coachella's Most Insane Belly Drawing 4.13.2013E". Archived from the original on March 7, 2015.
- DJ Mag [@DJmag] (19 October 2013). "It has been a massive year for @DILLONFRANCIS, who debuts at no.73 #Top100DJs" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Spotify [@Spotify] (4 February 2014). "#Exclusive! Love @DILLONFRANCIS? He's back with hot new single 'Get Low" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Dillon Francis — Miami Music Week 2014 — Interview". 2014-03-30.
- "Twitter / DILLONFRANCIS". Twitter. 2014-03-22.[dead link]
- "Preview Dillon Francis' Debut Album 'Money Sucks, Friends Rule'". Spin Magazine. 2014-03-22.
- "Dillon Francis to Shoot Pilot for MTV". Mixmag. January 5, 2015. Archived from the original on January 9, 2015.
- Dillon Francis (2017-04-06), SAY LESS, BUT MORE LIVESTREAM, retrieved 2017-05-05