Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School
|Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School|
251 Stonehaven Road
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Greater Fall River Regional Vocational Technical District|
|Superintendent||Thomas F. Aubin|
|Color(s)||Black & Orange|
|Athletics conference||MIAA Mayflower League|
|Rivals||Greater New Bedford, Bishop Connolly, Bristol-Plymouth|
$20,084 per pupil
|Communities served||Fall River, Swansea, Westport, Somerset|
|Website||Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School|
Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School is a public vocational high school located in Fall River, Massachusetts. The high school serves a regional school district comprising the city of Fall River, and the surrounding towns of Somerset, Swansea and Westport. The school has an enrollment of over 1,400 students and offers vocational technical programs in 16 different programs, including Automotive Collision, Repair, and Refinishing; Auto Technology; Building and Property Maintenance; Business Technology; Carpentry-Cabinetmaking; Culinary Arts; Dental Assisting; Drafting; Electricity; Electronics; Graphic Communication; Health Assisting; Heating, Ventilation, Conditioning, and Refrigeration; Machine Tool Technology; Metal Fabrication & Joining Technology; and Plumbing.
In January 2018, Joe Kennedy III addressed television cameras and a live studio audience in the automotive body shop of the school, for the Democratic Party's response to President Trump's 2018 State of the Union Address.
The school was founded in Fall River as Diman Vocational School in 1912 by Reverend John Diman, an Episcopal minister who had previously started Diman School for Boys (later renamed St. George's School) in Newport, Rhode Island.
The Diman Regional Charter was established in 1963 to expand the area of the school's enrollment to include the surrounding towns of Somerset, Swansea and Westport, Massachusetts. The current campus on Stonehaven Road in Fall River opened in 1968.
Today Diman is known as one of the best vocational schools in the United States, recognized for its success in Skills USA competitions and outstanding programs.
The below are considered distinguished alumni of Diman and are members of Diman's "Alumni Hall of Fame"
- Emeril Lagasse - (1977) - Celebrity chef.
- William A. Flanagan - (1998) - Mayor of Fall River, MA from 2010-2014.
After an almost 30 year hiatus, Diman re-introduced Football to the school in 2005. Diman's athletic teams compete at the Division 3 level of MIAA athletics, and at Division 3 for football. They compete in the Mayflower League, which is the largest athletics conference in Massachusetts, with 18 schools.
In 2013, the Diman football team won the Mayflower League Championship for the first time in school history. In the process, they also qualified for the MIAA Division 6 State Playoffs. The Bengals won their first round match-up against Upper Cape, but eventually lost the following week to a powerful Millis-Hopedale team.
The member schools of the Mayflower League are as listed below.
- Avon High School, Avon, MA
- Bishop Connolly High School, Fall River, MA
- Blue Hills Regional Technical High School, Canton, MA
- Bristol County Agricultural High School, Dighton, MA
- Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical High School, Taunton, MA
- Cape Cod Regional Technical High School, Harwich, MA
- Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Holbrook Jr/Sr High School, Holbrook, MA
- Nantucket High School, Nantucket, MA
- Norfolk County Agricultural High School, Walpole, MA
- Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School, Rochester, MA
- Sacred Heart High School, Kingston, MA
- Southeastern Regional Vocational Technical High School, Easton, MA
- South Shore Vocational Technical High School, Hanover, MA
- Tri-County Regional Vocational Technical High School, Franklin, MA
- Upper Cape Cod Regional Technical High School, Bourne, MA
- West Bridgewater High School, West Bridgewater, MA
- Westport High School, Westport, MA
- Martha's Vineyard Regional High School, Edgartown, MA
- Saint John Paul II High School, Hyannis, MA
- Chatham High School, Chatham, MA
- Harwich High School, Harwich, MA
- Provincetown High School, Provincetown, MA
- About Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School
- Diman Regional School Of Practical Nursing
- "Rep. Kennedy highlights Fall River's resilience, work ethic in rebuttal to President Trump". Herald News, Massachusetts. February 1, 2018. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Time Magazine, June 3, 1946