Dimensional Fund Advisors
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States|
|David G. Booth, Co-CEO
Eduardo Repetto, Co-CEO
|Products||Money Manager and investment firm|
Number of employees
Dimensional Fund Advisors (abbreviated as Dimensional) is an investment firm headquartered in Austin, Texas, United States, and has affiliates with offices in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Singapore, and Japan. The company was founded in 1981 by David G. Booth and Rex Sinquefield, both graduates of the University of Chicago's School of Business (now known as the Booth School of Business). The company offers over 100 equity and fixed income mutual funds.
Dimensional has $414.0 billion in assets under management as of April 29, 2016. Institutional investors can access Dimensional funds directly or through their consultant. Individual investors can access Dimensional funds through financial professionals, or through their retirement plans (both 401k and defined benefit), or certain 529 college savings plans. The company is owned by its employees, board members and outside investors, which as of 2005 was reported to include Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California.
On November 6, 2008, the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business announced a $300 million gift from David Booth in the form of cash and the income stream from Dimensional stock. The school was renamed the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
On December 2, 2009, Dimensional announced the acquisition of SmartNest, a retirement planning computer software company. The technology offered by SmartNest was developed by Robert C. Merton, who left the company's board after the purchase to become Resident Scientist.
The firm sells through financial advisors, as their products are unavailable to the general consumer who may now be aware of the company's principles.
Among those who are trained to advise clients, and provide the products are Index Fund Advisors, Capital Asset Management in London (www.capital.co.uk), MZ Capital in Washington, DC, CJM Fiscal in New York, Integrity Investment Advisors in Colorado, and FPL Capital Management, as well as others.
- The truth about Arnold, by Peter Byrne. salon.com, February 15, 2005; see also Schwarzenegger’s Next Goal on Dogged, Ambitious Path, by Bernard Weinraub and Charlie LeDuff. New York Times, August 17, 2003.
- "The Evolution of an Investor", by Michael Lewis. "Portfolio Magazine", December 2007.
- Associated Press, Alum gives U of Chicago $300M for business school[dead link]
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Inklebarger, Timothy (2009-12-02). "Dimensional adds retirement planning software firm". Pensions & Investments. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Hunnicutt, Trevor (14 Sep 2015). "Dimensional Fund Advisors posts 77th consecutive month of positive sales". Investment News.
- "Dimensional Fund Advisors". CJM Website. Charlie Massimo.
- "Why Dimensional Funds (DFA) vs. Vanguard Funds". Integrity Investment Advisors. Integrity Advisors Cite.
- "About DFA - Asset Management, Portfolio Management Services Metairie in Louisiana". Asset Management, Portfolio Management Services Metairie in Louisiana. Retrieved 2016-12-12.