Dimensional Fund Advisors
Dimensional Fund Advisors
|Founders||David G. Booth|
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States|
|David G. Booth|
Gerard K. O'Reilly
|Products||Money Management and Investment|
Number of employees
Dimensional Fund Advisors L.P. (abbreviated as Dimensional, DFA) is an investment firm headquartered in Austin, Texas, United States and has affiliates with offices in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Singapore, and Japan. The company was founded in 1981 by David G. Booth and Rex Sinquefield, both graduates of the University of Chicago's School of Business (now known as the Booth School of Business). The company offers over 100 equity and fixed income mutual funds.
Dimensional has $596 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2018. Institutional investors can access Dimensional funds directly or through their consultant. Individual investors can access Dimensional funds through financial professionals, or through their retirement plans (both 401k and defined benefit), or certain 529 college savings plans. The company is owned by its employees, board members and outside investors, which as of 2005 was reported to include Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California. 
On November 6, 2008, the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business announced a $300 million gift from David Booth in the form of cash and the income stream from Dimensional stock. The school was renamed the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
On December 2, 2009, Dimensional announced the acquisition of SmartNest, a retirement planning computer software company. The technology offered by SmartNest was developed by Robert C. Merton, who left the company's board after the purchase to become Resident Scientist.
The firm sells through financial advisors, as their products are unavailable to the general consumer who may not be aware of the company's principles. Some advisors charge less than 1% (some include planning and asset management).
- "Dimensional Investing | Dimensional Fund Advisors". Dimensional. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- The truth about Arnold Archived 2007-11-18 at the Wayback Machine., by Peter Byrne. salon.com, February 15, 2005; see also Schwarzenegger’s Next Goal on Dogged, Ambitious Path, by Bernard Weinraub and Charlie LeDuff. New York Times, August 17, 2003.
- "The Evolution of an Investor", by Michael Lewis. "Portfolio Magazine", December 2007.
- Associated Press, Alum gives U of Chicago $300M for business school[dead link]
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Inklebarger, Timothy (2009-12-02). "Dimensional adds retirement planning software firm". Pensions & Investments. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- DFA website for individuals|url=http://us.dimensional.com/individuals
- Hunnicutt, Trevor (14 Sep 2015). "Dimensional Fund Advisors posts 77th consecutive month of positive sales". Investment News.