|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Molecular mass||278.39 g/mol|
|Melting point||64 to 65 °C (147 to 149 °F)|
|(what is this?)|
Dimethocaine (larocaine) is a local anesthetic with stimulant properties that some studies have shown to be half the potency of cocaine. Dimethocaine also presents strain on the cardiovascular systems,[medical citation needed] like cocaine (60%), with the potential to induce tachycardia which could be problematic for those who continuously redose. Additional reports of respiratory arrest have been noted.[medical citation needed]
When a product sold online in the UK in June 2010, advertised as dimethocaine was tested, it was found to in fact be a mixture of caffeine and lidocaine, and the lack of any dopaminergic stimulant ingredient in such mixes may explain the limited recreational effects reported by many users. Other samples tested have however been shown to contain genuine dimethocaine, and one branded "bath salt" product containing primarily dimethocaine as the active ingredient, was noted to have been particularly subject to abuse by intravenous drug users in Ireland.
- Wilcox, KM; Kimmel, HL; Lindsey, KP; Votaw, JR; Goodman, MM; Howell, LL (2005). "In vivo comparison of the reinforcing and dopamine transporter effects of local anesthetics in rhesus monkeys and rabbits." (PDF). Synapse 58 (4): 220–8. doi:10.1002/syn.20199. PMID 16206183.
- Woodward JJ, Compton DM, Balster RL, Martin BR (April 1995). "In vitro and in vivo effects of cocaine and selected local anesthetics on the dopamine transporter". Eur. J. Pharmacol. 277 (1): 7–13. doi:10.1016/0014-2999(95)00042-J. PMID 7635175.
- Rigon, AR; Takahashi, RN (1996). "Stimulant activities of dimethocaine in mice: reinforcing and anxiogenic effects.". Psychopharmacology 127 (4): 323–7. doi:10.1007/s002130050093. PMID 8923567.
- Brandt, S. D.; Sumnall, H. R.; Measham, F.; Cole, J. (2010). "Second generation mephedrone. The confusing case of NRG-1". BMJ 341: c3564. doi:10.1136/bmj.c3564. PMID 20605894.
- An overview of new psychoactive substances and the outlets supplying them