||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Dimitri at Spectroscopy and Radiation Hydrodynamics conference in Colorado
March 20, 1939|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Died||November 21, 2013(aged 74)|
Dimitri Manuel Mihalas (March 20, 1939 – November 21, 2013) was a laboratory fellow at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in the field of astronomy, astrophysics, and stellar atmosphere. He was born in Los Angeles, California and is of Greek origin.
Mihalas obtained his Bachelor's Degree in Physics, Mathematics, and Astronomy from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1959. In one year, he received his Master's Degree from California Institute of Technology in 1960. Dimitri completed his PhD degree in three years in 1963 in Physics and Astronomy, also from California Institute of Technology.
At a very early age of 42, he became a member of the National Academy of Science.
Honors and awards
- 2004 | Laboratory Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 1985 | NCAR Outstanding Publication Award
- 1984 | Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung Senior U.S. Scientist Award
- 1981 | Elected to U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- 1979 | NCAR Outstanding Publication Award
- 1975 | Philips Lecturer, Haverford College
- 1974 | Helen B. Warner Prize of the American Astronomical Society
- 9/69 - 9/71 | Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow
- 6/63 - 9/63 | National Science Foundation Summer Fellowship
- 9/62 - 6/63 | Van Maanen Fellowship, California Institute of Technology
- 9/59 - 6/62 | National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
- 6/1959 | B.A. with Highest Honors, U.C.L.A.
- 6/1959 | Phi Beta Kappa
- 6/1959 | Pi Mu Epsilon, Mathematics Honorary Society
- 6/1959 | Sigma Pi Sigma, Physics Honorary Society
- Biography in “Who’s Who in America” and “Who’s Who in the West”
- G.C. McVittie Professor of Astronomy (emeritus), University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
Associations and Affiliations
Commission 12 (Radiation and Structure of the Solar Atmosphere)
Commission 36 (Stellar Atmospheres)
Publications and Citations
- D. Mihalas (in collaboration with P.M. Routly) - Galactic Astronomy. (San Francisco: W. H. Freeman & Company), 1968 
- D. Mihalas - Stellar Atmospheres. (San Francisco: W. H. Freeman & Company), 1970 
- D. Mihalas, B. Pagel, and P. Souffrin Theorie des Atmospheres Stellaires. First Advanced Course of the Swiss Society for Astronomy and Astrophysics. (Geneva: Observatoire de Geneve), 1971 
- D. Mihalas - Stellar Atmospheres. 2nd ed. (San Francisco: W. H. Freeman & Company), 1978 
- D. Mihalas and J. Binney - Galactic Astronomy: Structure and Kinematics of Galaxies. (San Francisco: W.H. Freeman & Company), 1981 
- D. Mihalas and B. W. Mihalas - Foundations of Radiation Hydrodynamics. (New York: Oxford University Press), 1984. Paperback Edition, (New York: Dover Publications, Inc.), 1999 
- R. J. LeVeque, D. Mihalas, E. A. Dorfi, and E. Muller - Computational Methods for Astrophysical Fluid Flow. Saas-Fee Advanced Course 27. Swiss Society for Astronomy and Astrophysics. (Berlin: Springer Verlag), 1998 
- Stellar Atmosphere Modeling: Proceedings of an International Workshop Held in Tubingen, Germany, 8–12 April 2002 Stellar Atmosphere Modeling: Proceedings of an International Workshop Held in Tubingen, Germany, 8–12 April 2002 (Astronomical Society of the pacific), 2003 (Editors: D. Mihalas, I. Hubeny, K. Werner)
- D. Mihalas - Coming Back From The Dead, 1990
- D. Mihalas, A. Sawyer, L. Wainwright - Trilogy in a Minor Key. (Trilogy Productions), 1991
- D. Mihalas - Cantata for Six Lives And Continuo, 1992
- D. Mihalas, C. Pursifull - If I Should Die before I Wake If I Should Die before I Wake. (Hawk Productions), 1993
- D. Mihalas - Dream Shadows, 1994
- D. Mihalas - Depression and Spiritual Growth. (Pendle Hill Publications), 1996
- D. Mihalas - Life Matters: Poems by Dimitri Mihalas, 1995
- D. Mihalas - The World Is My Witness, 1997
- D. Mihalas - A Distant Summons, 1998
- Dimitri Mihalas Information
- Conference Proceedings Dedicated to Dimitri Mihalas
- Books Written by Mihalas
- 2009 Spectroscopy and Radiation Hydrodynamics Conference in Boulder, Colorado Dedicated to Dimitri
- Who's who in Frontiers of Science and Technology - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "LANL astrophysicist Dimitri Mihalas dies at 74". The Santa Fe New Mexican. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- Shankar, Anurag. About Dimitri Minhalas. HealthyPlace. Retrieved March 22, 2010
- Books Written by Mihalas. AllBookstores.com: Books by Dimitri Mihalas. Retrieved March 22, 2010.