Dimitrie Cantemir Christian University
|This article is a rough translation from Romanian. It may have been generated by a computer or by a translator without dual proficiency.
If you have just labeled this article as needing attention, please add
to the bottom of the WP:PNTCU section on Wikipedia:Pages needing translation into English.
|Universitatea Creștină "Dimitrie Cantemir"|
The Romanian newspaper Gândul has reported that the Christian University "Dimitrie Cantemir" from Bucharest started 34 Master's degree curricula which have no legal ground. According to the rector of the University, Mrs. Corina Dumitrescu, the law has a loophole, since it uses a continuous present for institutional evaluation, which is uncharacteristic of the Romanian language. She says that in her opinion institutional evaluation (required by law) may also happen after the curricula have been taught. The actual wording in Romanian is "universitate acreditată supusă periodic evaluării instituţionale", and Dumitrescu argues that "care se supun" means that an accredited institution can be evaluated "today, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow" (and presumably, any time), not that it needs to have been evaluated in the past. For the study year 2010-2011, 16 Master's curricula from nine of its faculties are listed as accredited in Order no. 4630/2010 of the Department of Education.
On February 10, 2011 have to have been stopped any specializations and curricula which are neither accredited nor temporarily authorized, according to Art. 361 paragraph 4 of the Law of National Education. The continuation of such curricula causes the liquidation of the university and the criminal responsibility for those guilty of breaking the law.
According to the newspaper Gândul, the situation of those who graduated unaccredited and unauthorized studies will be decided in September, following a project drawn up by ARACIS and consulting the National Rectors' Council. The Minister of Education, Daniel Petru Funeriu recognized that it applies to several universities and that his department does not have the right to cancel diplomas.
Nonetheless, as a result of thoroughly internal educational assessment, Dimitrie Cantemir Christian University has been offered by ARACIS in 2010 the Certificate of High Trust Degree "Grad de încredere ridicată", the highest qualification awarded in Romania to a higher education institution. The Romanian Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ARACIS) is the highest official authority entitled to assess, authorize and accredit higher education institutions in Romania. In 2011, the Dimitrie Cantemir Christian University has been officially evaluated by The European Association of Universities as "education-centered university", which means that the educational process focuses more on education than on research and high research. The "education-centered university" category is the third and lowest educational quality category of the Romanian universities. Education centered universities have lost the right of organizing new Master's and doctorate degrees studies.
- "Universitatea Crestina "Dimitrie Cantemir" adopta modelul "Spiru Haret" " Gândul, July 20, 2009. (in Romanian)
- Florea, Raul (July 19, 2009). "Cantemir după Spiru: masterate înfiinţate doar în baza legilor gramaticale" Gândul. (in Romanian)
- Cristina Şomănescu Topul celor mai mari scandaluri din universităţi Money.ro, July, 19 2011.
- Ordinul MECTS nr. 4630/2010
- Asociația EDU CER Prevederile Legii Educatiei Nationale vor fi aplicabile din 10 februarie Campusnews.ro
- Monitorul Oficial, anul 179 (XXIII) nr. 18/luni 10 ianuarie 2011
- Aurelia Alexa, Situația celor care au absolvit programe neautorizate la "Spiru Haret", decisă în septembrie Gândul, July, 7 2011.
- The Romanian Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education. "LISTA PROGRAMELOR DE STUDII UNIVERSITARE Propuse spre analiză şi validare în şedinţa Consiliului ARACIS" (PDF). Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Raul Florea, Clasificarea universităţilor. Vezi aici ce universităţi vor fi axate pe licenţă, masterat şi doctorat Gândul, September 6, 2011.
- (Romanian) Official website
- Official website (English)
- Euromentor Journal, studies about education, psychology, literature (bilingual English, Romanian), print and PDF (ISSN-L 2068-780X, E-ISSN 2247-9376; older ISSN 2067-7839)