Dinagat, Dinagat Islands
|Nickname(s): "The Mother Municipality of Dinagat Islands"|
|Motto: Pangga Dinagat!|
Map of Dinagat Islands with Dinagat highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|District||Lone district of Dinagat Islands|
|• Mayor||Craig Ecleo|
|• Total||139.94 km2 (54.03 sq mi)|
|• Land||32.87 km2 (12.69 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||76/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)86|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Electorate||6,549 voters as of 2016|
Barangays San Jose, Matingbe, Jacques, Aurelio, Mahayahay, San Juan, Don Ruben Ecleo, Justiniana Edera, Sta. Cruz, Cuarenta, Wilson and Luna was separated from the original territory of Dinagat to form the new municipality of San Jose on November 15, 1989 under Republic Act No. 6769.
The town became a part of the province of Dinagat Islands in December 2006, when the province was created from Surigao del Norte by Republic Act No. 9355. However, in February 2010, the Supreme Court ruled that the law was unconstitutional, as the necessary requirements for provincial land area and population were not met. The town reverted to Surigao del Norte. On October 24, 2012, however, the Supreme Court reversed its ruling from the previous year, and upheld the constitutionality of RA 9355 and the creation of Dinagat Islands as a province.
Dinagat is politically subdivided into 12 barangays.
- Escolta (Pob.)
- Justiniana Edera
- Mauswagon (Pob.)
- New Mabuhay
- White Beach (Pob.)
|Population census of Dinagat|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Province: Dinagat Islands". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 15 October 2007. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Socio Economic Fact Book". Socio Economic Fact Book. Dinagat Islands Provincial Planning and Development Office.
- Census of Population (2015). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Republic Act No. 6769" (PDF). House of Representatives of the Philippines. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 28, 2015. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- Tetch Torres (2010-02-11). "Dinagat Islands province back to being a town". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on 12 February 2010. Retrieved 10 February 2010.
- "IRA Shares for LGUs Jump by 37.5% in 2013". Office of the President of the Philippines. January 9, 2013. Archived from the original on 2014-08-31.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011.
- "Province of Dinagat Islands". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.