Dinanath Gopal Tendulkar
D. G. Tendulkar
Ratnagiri, Maharashtra, British India
|Died||1972 (aged 62–63)|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge, University of Marburg and University of Göttingen|
|Notable works||Mahatma: Life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi|
|Notable awards||Padma Bhushan (refused)|
Dinanath Gopal Tendulkar (1909–1972) was an Indian writer and documentary film maker. He is most well known as the author of an eight-volume biography of Mahatma Gandhi, titled Mahatma: Life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He was also a close associate of Vithalbhai Jhaveri and collaborated for the documentary film, Mahatma: Life of Gandhi, 1869–1948.He died on Monday, June 12 1972.
He gained international notability for writing the eight-volume biography of Mahatma Gandhi, titled Mahatma: Life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. In fact his most noted work is his Gandhi biography which was first published in 1951 with a foreword by the then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan (third highest civilian honour in the Republic of India) decoration by the then President of India, Rajendra Prasad. He refused the award and asked for (and got) a watch instead. Tendulkar's 1967 biography of Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan – Faith is a Battle is among the few very biographies written about Gaffar Khan. He was appointed as a member of the National Book Trust of India, when it was first established in 1957. His other works include 30 months in Russia (1943), Gandhi in Champaran (1957) and Soviet Sanskriti. He has also edited two books – Jawaharlal Nehru in pictures (1967) and Gandhiji:His life and works (1944). Tendulkar was also a documentary film maker who had trained under Sergei Eisenstein in Moscow. Tendulkar and his fellow European trained film makers – P. V. Pathy and K. S. Hirlekar – are considered to be the pioneers of documentary film making in India.
- Mahatma: Life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- 30 months in Russia
- Faith is a Battle (a biography of Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan)
- (ed.) Jawaharlal Nehru in pictures
- Gandhi in Champaran
- Soviet Sanskriti
- (ed.)Gandhiji:His life and works
- Jawaharlal Nehru (1982). Selected works of Jawaharlal Nehru. 4. Orient Longman.
- Deva, Narendra; Hari Dev Sharma (1999). Selected Works of Acharya Narendra Deva: 1948–1952; Volume 3. Radiant Publishers. p. 549. ISBN 978-81-7027-176-5.
- Vithalbhai Jhaveri
- Relevance of June 12 in the history of India, India Today
- Deva, Narendra; Hari Dev Sharma (1999). Selected Works of Acharya Narendra Deva: 1948–1952; Volume 3. Radiant Publishers. p. 309. ISBN 978-81-7027-176-5.
- Guha, Ramachandra (9 January 2003). "Of a nation in a sling". The Hindu. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Tendulkar, Dinanath Gopal.; Illus. collected and arranged by Vithalbhai K. Jhaveri; foreword by Jawaharlal Nehru (1951–54). Mahatma; life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. Bombay. LCCN a52004086.
- Govindu, Venu Madhav; Deepak Malghan (15 August 2008). "Price of Freedom". Outlook. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Akbar, M J. "The Siege Within. Sharp descent for Padma awards – and the Republic". Times of India. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Sharada Prasad, H. Y. (2003). The book I won't be writing and other essays. Orient Blackswan. pp. 210–212. ISBN 978-81-8028-002-3.
- Singh, Natwar (13 October 2001). "A non-violent giant". Frontline. The Hindu. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- "National Book Trust Members". Ministry of Education. Government of India. Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- "National Book Trust : History". National Book Trust of India. Archived from the original on 9 April 2008. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Jag Mohan (1 December 2009). "The Short Film in India". Vidura. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Roy, Srirupa (2007). Beyond belief: India and the politics of postcolonial nationalism. Duke University Press. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-8223-4001-0.
- Sheila, Tully Boyle; Andrew Bunie (2001). Paul Robeson: the years of promise and achievement. University of Massachusetts Press. p. 309. ISBN 978-1-55849-149-6.
- Yadav, M.S; Shipra Kundra (2005). Basic Audio-Visual Media. Anmol Publications. p. 247. ISBN 978-81-261-2453-4.
- Tendulkar, Dinanath Gopal (1943). 30 months in Russia. Bombay: Karnatak Pub. House. p. 96. LCCN 52049632.
- Tendulkar, Dinanath Gopal (1967). Faith is a Battle. Bombay: Popular Prakashan. p. 550. OCLC 8991722.
- D. G. Tendulkar, ed. (1964). Jawaharlal Nehru in pictures. Bombay: Printed and published for the Proprietors Bennet, Coleman, by Pyarelal Sah at the Times of India Press. LCCN sa65010247. OCLC 248925009.
- Tendulkar, Dinanath Gopal (1957). Gandhi in Champaran. Publications Division, Ministry of Informations and Broadcasting. p. 115. OCLC 1052810.
- Tendulkar, Dinanath Gopal (1944). Gandhiji, his life and work. Bombay: Karnatak Pub. House. p. 502. OCLC 220408218.