This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dineo Ranaka (born 16 December 1983, in Soweto, Johannesburg), is a radio and television presenter, actress, DJ and TV Producer).
She started as a radio trainee at 5fm and later joined Yfm as a radio show producer and thereafter a co-host of the then popular afternoon drive radio show called 'Essential Rush' with well known Chilli M before taking over the show after Chilli M's departure. Her Show : 'Dineo Live on Drive' , gained her so much popularity and fame in South Africa and made her one of a few leading ladies in Radio in the country . She co-hosted Club 808 (a music show on e.TV) along with Moeti 'Mo Flava' Tsiki and both became favourites as they did prime rime radio and tv at the same time . One of her highlights was being a presenter on All Access and later hosting a music game show on the etv years after leaving Club808. Other notable televison work she did includes appearances in Scandal, Gaz lam and Gomora.
Following her departure from yfm, for what she described as a ' break from radio ' , she made a short return and hosted a weekend show on Highveld Stereo now 947 but soon resigned due to the organisational culture which she said she didn't feel that she fits well in. She later made another brief return to Radio when she joined Cliff Central but couldn't hang in for long and quickly left the internet radio station . She is the current host of The Bridge, a mid morning show on Metro fm alongside Somizi and Lerato Kganyago, she hosted the popular Metro fm Top 40 chart show for 2 years.
Her reality show, Dineo's Diary, is one of the longest running reality shows in South Africa and she wrapped it up at season 5. She currently produces and features in the spin off of her own reality show The Ranakas, which now includes her entire family. She played the Role of Joy in the local movie : Baby Mamas. She currently hosts Yim'lo , a show where she helps South Africans living a double life to come out to their families and close ones on DSTV channel Mzansi Magic. In 2019 she announced her new venture as a House and Hip Hop DJ. In 2020 , through her production company she produced Mzali Wami, a drama series which aired on Mzansi Magic and Showmax. She owns cosmetic range LuvDrBeauty which launched 16th December 2020.
In September 2010 Fireworks erupted between singer Kelly Khumalo and Dineo Ranaka during rehearsals for the YFM and Chevrolet Divas party. A source told the Sunday World newspaper that things went wrong after Khumalo arrived at the rehearsals more than two hours late.
It is believed that Khumalo was not prepared for the gig, she was throwing tantrums and not following the brief. The "moo moos" hit the fan when Dineo, asked Khumalo about motherhood. Dineo states that she was sitting down getting ready for the rehearsal while one of her colleagues was interviewing Khumalo for an insert in Club 808 on camera. She says the interview was based on Khumalo's music and she thought it had no depth because Khumalo didn't have a new album out yet. They have since made peace and became good friends
2011 In February 2011 Dineo had a breakdown on air and was subsequently taken off air resulting in her content producer Bujy and co-host Linda Mbuso to stand in for her.
During the afternoon drive show she started sobbing uncontrollably two hours before her show ended, when questioned about this by management, Dineo said she couldn't take it anymore. Sunday World states that she was crying because she had had a fight with YFM marketing manager Tamaria Motsepe , who had allegedly denied her the chance to attend this year's J&B Met in Cape Town. Motsepe told the paper that Dineo was facing a disciplinary hearing, headed by station manager Tumelo Diaho-Monaheng.
J&B Met During the J&B Met weekend in February it was reported that she had lost it and that she went into a tirade on a bus, where she allegedly swore at Brenda Ngxoli and Palesa Mocuminyane. She than reportedly told Ngxoli and Mocuminyane off when they reprimanded her for complaining that Kenny Kunene took her friend and colleague Faith Mangope to Mzoli's Buy and Braai Butchery in Gugulethu. It is believed that "Dineo was shouting and screaming, asking how Kenny can go to Mzoli’s Buy and Braai Butchery in Gugulethu with her colleague and friend (Faith),".
A witness states that Mocuminyane jokingly said: "Give another child a chance to enjoy him." "Dineo started screaming that she was going to teach both Mangope and Kunene a lesson, while crying and swearing,",Dineo has since apologized for confrontation.
Dineo reportedly spent three days in the Life Fourways Hospital after she was admitted for a brain-related chronic illness caused by stress and hypertension. On Thursday 24 February 2011 Dineo was admitted and discharged after two days of treatment following her being diagnosed with hypothyroidism a brain shrinkage and temporal lobe epilepsy. It is reported that she was never in rehab, she was in the Life Fourways hospital. Dineo states that she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2004, and that her condition was under control until the J&B Met. She has since became an advocate for Mental Health.
Dineo became successful in presenting the Breakfast show. It was her rapid success on her Weekend Breakfast Show that made her the perfect candidate to take over from Chilli M's show which aired daily between 15:00 and 18:00 weekdays. Thereafter replacing the popular Vukani "Chilli M" Masinga who left the show. She then proved the critics wrong and in less than a year, grew the stations listener-ship in the 3-6pm time slot to 750 000 from the previous listener-ship of 600 000.
Dineo hosted the "Dineo Live on Drive" show making her YFM's first female afternoon drive time jock and is recond to be the only female afternoon drive time Radio DJ in the country. Due to her shows success she won the favor of clients such as Love Life, Sanlam, Samsung, Motorola, Vodacom, Cadbury and Levis, just to name a few, requesting that she specifically run and drive their on-air campaigns.
During 2010 e.tv launched their lifestyle and music entertainment show aimed at the youth called Club 808 "Make Some Noise". It featured presenters Dineo Ranaka and Mo flava.on August 2010 During August 2010, Club 808 executive producer Zam Nkosi said: "The show will be fresh, very contemporary, fun, flirty and lightly irreverent, with the tongue firmly in cheek. It will certainly not take itself seriously.". The show currently airs on Etv.
In April 2014, she was a roaster at the Comedy Central Africa's Roast of Kenny Kunene. She has also acted on Hustle a South African TV series on 2016
- "Dineo Ranaka joins ETV Scandal | YOMZANSI". www.yomzansi.com. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Dineo Ranaka: Highveld stereo tried to change me". All4Women. 31 May 2018. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- reporter, Citizen (4 April 2017). "Dineo Ranaka takes Bonang's job at Metro FM". The Citizen. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "Dineo Ranaka Wins Listeners' Hearts As A Metro FM Top40 Host". Youth Village. 18 September 2017. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Dineo's Diary | Season 5 | TVSA". www.tvsa.co.za. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- Herimbi, Helen. "The Ranakas: Can reality TV be the family business?". Citypress. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- Zwane, Stephina (12 October 2018), Baby Mamas (Comedy), Jonathan Boynton-Lee, Sthembiso Khoza, Thembisa Mdoda, Salamina Mosese, Sorele Media, retrieved 28 January 2021
- "Yim' Lo!". Mzansi Magic - Yim' Lo!. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "Dineo Ranaka production company releases first ever project Mzali Wam". Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Home". Unisa.ac.za. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "'Go to rehab or leave the station'". SowetanLIVE. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "Brenda Ngxoli". TVSA. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Palesa Mocuminyane". TVSA. 6 September 1975. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Kenny Kunene
- "Go to rehab or leave the station". Sowetan LIVE. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 August 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Club 808 is full of fun and wit". Sowetan LIVE. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Technikon S.A". Easyinfo.co.za. Retrieved 12 November 2016.