4 October 1937 |
|Institutions||Technical University of Denmark
United Nations University
|Alma mater||Peking University
Chinese Academy of Sciences
|Known for||Vienna Development Method, RAISE specification language|
|Notable awards||Order of the Dannebrog (1985)|
He specializes in research into domain engineering, requirements engineering and formal methods. He worked with Cliff Jones and others on the Vienna Development Method (VDM) at IBM Laboratory Vienna (and elsewhere). Later he was involved with producing the RAISE (Rigorous Approach to Industrial Software Engineering) formal method with tool support.
Bjørner was a professor at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) from 1965–1969 and 1976–2007, before he retired in March 2007. He was responsible for establishing the United Nations University International Institute for Software Technology (UNU-IIST), Macau, in 1992 and was its first director. His magnum opus on software engineering (three volumes) appeared in 2005/6.
To support VDM, Bjørner co-founded VDM-Europe, which subsequently became Formal Methods Europe, an organization that supports conferences and related activities. In 2003, he instigated the associated ForTIA Formal Techniques Industry Association.
Bjørner became a knight of the Order of the Dannebrog in 1985. He received a Dr.h.c. from the Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic in 2004. He is a Fellow of the IEEE (2004) and ACM (2005). He has also been a member of the Academia Europaea since 1989.
Bjørner is married to Kari Bjørner, with two children and five grandchildren.
- Software Engineering 1: Abstraction and Modelling, Bjørner, D. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science, An EATCS Series, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-21149-7 (2005).
- Software Engineering 2: Specification of Systems and Languages, Bjørner, D. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science, An EATCS Series, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-21150-0 (2006).
- Software Engineering 3: Domains, Requirements, and Software Design, Bjørner, D. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science, An EATCS Series, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-21151-9 (2006).
- Formal Specification and Software Development, Bjørner, D. and Jones, C.B. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-329003-4 (1982).
- The Vienna Development Method: The Meta-Language, Bjørner, D. and Jones, C.B. (editors). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 61, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-08766-4 (1978).
- Dines Bjørner at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Bjørner, Dines, Software Engineering, 3 volumes. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science, An EATCS Series, Springer-Verlag (2005–6).
- Cliff B. Jones, Zhiming Liu, Jim Woodcock (Eds.): Formal Methods and Hybrid Real-Time Systems, Essays in Honor of Dines Bjørner and Chaochen Zhou on the Occasion of Their 70th Birthdays, Papers presented at a Symposium held in Macao, China, September 24–25, 2007. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 4700, Springer, 2007. ISBN 978-3-540-75220-2.