Dinosaur World (theme parks)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dinosaur World in Glen Rose, Texas
|Slogan||Over 150 life-size dinosaurs|
|Location||Plant City, Florida, Cave City, Kentucky, Glen Rose, Texas|
|General Manager||Marlene Svensson|
Dinosaur World is a chain of three outdoor dinosaur theme parks in the US. Locations include Plant City, Florida, Glen Rose, Texas, and Cave City, Kentucky. The parks each feature over 150 life-size dinosaur sculptures created by Christer Svensson. The Florida location opened in November 1998, the Kentucky location five years after and Texas location followed five years after that. The parks are family friendly, including many activities for small children, playgrounds and picnic areas (food is not served on the property so guests are encouraged to picnic).
Though each park has a unique setting by virtue of its geography, the common format is that life-size dinosaur statues are placed among native vegetation or water features to simulate animals in a wild environment. Plant species that date from the time of the dinosaurs can be found on the grounds and identified with small signs as appropriate. There are frequent break and shade areas around the park and several picnic and play areas. One popular attraction is the "Fossil Dig" where kids can dig at a sand table for real fossils and take home their favorite three in a small plastic bag.
The dinosaur sculptures themselves are made from a base of carved polystyrene foam, covered with fiberglass, then putty which is textured as the skin and painted with care. Each dinosaur is made on location at the park. About three new dinosaur replicas are added each year, with other older statues getting much needed makeovers in between. Visitors tour Dinosaur World on a boardwalk that takes them past Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus rex and other popular dinosaurs set among natural marshes with cypress and gum trees.
(FKT indicates park location for specific activities; F - Florida, K - Kentucky, T - Texas)
- Dinosaur Walk is the outdoor trail with life-size dinosaurs and explanatory signs [FKT]
- Fossil Dig where children can dig for fossils and take home their favorite three [FKT]
- Dino Gem Excavation is a mining sluice where you can pan for real minerals and gemstones [FKT]
- Geode Cracker where you can purchase a whole geode and crack it open [FT]
- Exploration Cave Show and Triviasaurus Rex Game Show are interactive shows [F]
- Museum with real and cast fossils [FKT]
- Animatronic Dinosaurs Display [FT]
- Mammoths exhibit [FK]
- Boneyard where you can uncover a 27 ft skeleton from under the sand [FKT]
- Touch and Tell is an activity where you stick your hand inside a hole and try to guess the dinosaur without sight [FK]
- Skeleton Garden includes life-size skeleton model dinosaurs and a paleontological field work sight [F; KT have skeleton models, but not a Skeleton Garden like F]
- Playground and picnic area [FKT]
- Movie Cave showing a selection of dinosaur videos also available in the gift shop. [K]
- Gift Shop selling a selection of dino and prehistoric toys and gifts [FKT]
- Koi Pond for fish feeding [FT]
- The Florida Park is in Plant City.
- The Kentucky Park is in Cave City, KY.
- The Texas Park is in Glen Rose, TX.
- "Orlando: Magic, thrill rides and gators", Adam Stone, Federal Times, August 10, 2010
- "Tampa's roadside dinosaur attraction is thriving" USA Today, August 29, 2005
- "Dinosaur World visitors get life-size glimpse of the past," Michelle Jones, January 15, 1999, St. Petersburg Times.
- "Fossil Dig - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Dino Gem Excavation - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Geode Cracker - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Interactive Shows - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Museums & Animatronics - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Mammoths: Giants of the Ice Age - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Other Activities - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Other Activities - Kentucky". Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Gift Shop - Florida". Retrieved October 16, 2016.