|Union Cabinet Minister, Mines|
28 October 2012 – 25 May 2014
|Minister of State, Mines (Independent Charge)|
19 Jan 2011 – 27 October 2012
|Minister of State, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (Independent Charge)|
May 2009 - 18 Jan 2011
|Minister of State, Petroleum and Natural Gas|
2006 - 2009
1996 - 2014
|Preceded by||Khushiram Jeswani|
25 May 1937 |
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Spouse(s)||Smt. Kundanben Dinsha Patel|
He represented the Kheda constituency of Gujarat and is a member of the Indian National Congress. He was the Union Cabinet Minister, Mines. He was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Mines (Independent Charge) from 19 Jan 2011 to 27 Sep 2012. He was also a Minister of State in the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (Independent Charge) from May 2009 to 18 Jan 2011 and was a Minister of State in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas from 2006 to 2009. On 28 October 2012 he was given the responsibilities of Union Cabinet Minister, Mines.
Contesting against Modi
His selection was based on his clean image and his Patel community background. He was selected after congress could not find any suitable candidate to oppose Narendra Modi. He was also being projected as the future Chief Minister of Gujarat. He lost the elections by more than 86, 000 votes. 
- The Hindu News Update Service Archived 1 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Zee News - Dinsha Patel to contest against Modi
- Minister Dinsha Patel to take on Modi in Maninagar
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 December 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- NDTV.com: BJP MLAs to elect Modi their leader on Monday
- Even tussle between Cong, BJP in Nadiad