Roman Catholic Diocese of Darjeeling
|Diocese of Darjeeling
दार्जिलिंग के सूबा
Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Darjeeling
|Area||10,880 km2 (4,200 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Cathedral||Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Darjeeling|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Thomas D’Souza|
The Diocese of Darjeeling is a Latin Roman Catholic suffragan diocese situated in the north east of India, in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Calcutta, yet depends on the missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
As per 2014, it pastorally served 37,109 Catholics (2.6% of 1,433,000 total) on 9,521 km² in 54 parishes and 3 missions with 132 priests (82 diocesan, 50 religious), 455 lay religious (121 brothers, 334 sisters) and 40 seminarians..
- Established on 1929.02.15 as Mission sui juris of Sikkim, on terrirotries split off from Metropolitan Archdiocese of Calcutta and Apostolic Vicariate of Dajianlu 打箭爐)
- Promoted on 1931.06.16 as Apostolic Prefecture of Sikkim
- Promoted on 1962.08.08 and renamed after ist see as Diocese of Darjeeling / 大吉嶺 (正體中文)
- Lost territory on 1997.06.14 to establish the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bagdogra.
- Ecclesiastical Superior of Sikkim
- Father Jules Elmire Douénel, Paris Foreign Missions Society (M.E.P.) (born France) (1929.02.19 – 1931.06.16 see below)
- Apostolic Prefects of Sikkim
- Father Jules Elmire Douénel, M.E.P. (see above 1929.02.19 – retired 1931.06.16)
- Father Aurelio Gianora (1937.05.14 – death 1962)
- Suffragan Bishops of Darjeeling
- Eric Benjamin (born India) (1962.08.08 – death 1994.05.12)
- Stephen Lepcha (born India) (1997.06.14 – ...).
- GCatholic.org with incumbent bio links - data for all sections
- www.catholic-hierarchy.org - Statistics on the Diocese of Darjeeling