Diocese of Ely
|Diocese of Ely|
Armorials of Bishop of Ely: Gules, three ducal coronets or
|Archdeaconries||Cambridge, Huntingdon and Wisbech|
|Bishop||Stephen Conway, Bishop of Ely|
|Suffragan||David Thomson, Bishop of Huntingdon|
|Archdeacons||Hugh McCurdy, Archdeacon of Huntingdon and Wisbech
Alex Hughes, Archdeacon of Cambridge
The Diocese of Ely is a Church of England diocese in the Province of Canterbury. It is headed by the Bishop of Ely, who sits at Ely Cathedral in Ely. There is one suffragan (subordinate) bishop, the Bishop of Huntingdon. The diocese now covers the modern ceremonial county of Cambridgeshire (excluding the Soke of Peterborough) and western Norfolk. The diocese was created in 1109 out of part of the Diocese of Lincoln.
The diocese is ancient, and the area of Ely was part of the patrimony of Saint Etheldreda. A religious house was founded in the city in 673. After her death in 679 she was buried outside the church, and her remains were later reburied inside, the foundress being commemorated as a great Anglian saint.
The diocese has had its boundaries altered various times. From an original diocese covering the historic county of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Bedfordshire and Huntingdonshire were added in 1837 from the Diocese of Lincoln, as was the Sudbury archdeaconry in Suffolk from the Diocese of Norwich. In 1914 Bedfordshire became part of the Diocese of St Albans, and western Suffolk became part of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, whilst Ely took a western part of the Diocese of Norwich. Peterborough remains the seat of the Diocese of Peterborough.
Today the Diocese covers an area of 1,507 square miles (3,900 km2). It has a population of 705,000 and comprises 209 benefices, 303 parishes and 335 churches with 145 stipendiary parochial clergy.
- 1 Bishops
- 2 Archdeaconries and deaneries
- 3 Churches
- 3.1 Extra-deanery
- 3.2 Bourn Deanery
- 3.3 Cambridge North Deanery
- 3.4 Cambridge South Deanery
- 3.5 Ely Deanery
- 3.6 Fincham and Feltwell Deanery
- 3.7 Fordham and Quy Deanery
- 3.8 Granta Deanery
- 3.9 Huntingdon Deanery
- 3.10 March Deanery
- 3.11 North Stowe Deanery
- 3.12 St Ives Deanery
- 3.13 St Neots Deanery
- 3.14 Shingay Deanery
- 3.15 Wisbech Lynn Marshland Deanery
- 3.16 Yaxley Deanery
- 4 Diocesan news publications
- 5 References
- 6 External links
There are also six retired bishops living in the diocese who are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 1995–present: Peter Dawes, retired Bishop of Derby, lives in Ely itself.
- 1998–present: Retired Bishop of Coventry Simon Barrington-Ward also lives in Cambridge.
- 2011–present: Lindsay Urwin, Administrator of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, is a former Area Bishop of Horsham. He lives outside the diocese in Walsingham, Norfolk.
- 2012–present: Retired Dean of St Paul's and former Bishop of Sodor and Man Graeme Knowles lives in Bury St Edmunds (in neighbouring Eds & Ips diocese.)
- 2013–present: Retired Archbishop of Canterbury The Lord Williams of Oystermouth become Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge in 2013.
- 2013–present: John Flack, retired Director of the Anglican Centre in Rome & Archbishop's Representative to the Holy See and former Bishop of Huntingdon, lives in Whittlesey.
Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor, Norman Banks, Bishop suffragan of Richborough, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese to facilitate his work there.
The Bishop of Peterborough has also been commissioned as assistant bishop in the diocese so that he can exercise pastoral care in several old Huntingdonshire parishes now within the Peterborough unitary authority: including Stanground, Orton, Woodston, Yaxley and Fletton.
Archdeaconries and deaneries
|Diocese of Ely||Archdeaconry of Cambridge||Deanery of Bourn|
|Deanery of Cambridge North|
|Deanery of Cambridge South|
|Deanery of Fordham and Quy|
|Deanery of Granta|
|Deanery of North Stowe|
|Deanery of Shingay|
|Archdeaconry of Huntingdon and Wisbech||Deanery of Ely|
|Deanery of Fincham and Feltwell|
|Deanery of Huntingdon|
|Deanery of March|
|Deanery of St Ives|
|Deanery of St Neots|
|Deanery of Wisbech Lynn Marshland|
|Deanery of Yaxley|
The names of stipendiary clergy are given after their churches.
St Peter, Ely
Lordsbridge Team (Team Rector: Alison Myers; Team Vicar: Rebecca Gilbert; Curates: Beth Cope, Corin Redsell)
- St Peter, Barton
- St Michael & All Angels, Caldecote
- St Mary, Comberton
- St Peter, Coton
- SS Peter & Paul, Dry Drayton
- St Mary, Great Eversden
- St Mary, Hardwick
- Assumption of Mary, Harlton
- All Saints, Haslingfield
- St Helen, Little Eversden
- St Andrew, Toft
Papworth Team Ministry (Team Rector: Nigel di Castiglione; Team Vicar: Stephen Day)
- SS Helena & Mary, Bourn
- St Peter, Boxworth
- St Andrew, Caxton
- St James, Croxton
- Holy Trinity, Elsworth
- SS Pandionia & John the Baptist, Eltisley
- St Botolph, Graveley
- All Saints & St Andrew, Kingston
- All Saints, Knapwell
- St Mary the Virgin, Longstowe
- St Peter, Papworth Everard
- St Michael, Toseland
- Holy Cross, Yelling
Cambridge North Deanery
Christ the Redeemer, Cambridge (Vicar: Roger Williams)
Church at Castle - includes 1 Methodist church (Team Rector: Philipa King; Team Vicar: Janet Bunker)
- St Augustine of Canterbury, Cambridge
- St Giles, Cambridge
- St Luke, Cambridge (CoE/URC) (Minister: Charles Mather)
St George, Chesterton (Vicar: Ruth Adams; Curate: Jackie Riglin)
St Matthew, Cambridge (Vicar: Frank Price)
The Good Shepherd, Cambridge (Vicar: David Maher; Curates: Chris Lowe, Rachel Blanchflower)
St John, Orchard Park (not a parish church) (Vicar: Chris Lowe)
St Andrew, Chesterton (Vicar: Nick Moir; Curate: Kathryn Waite)
Fen Ditton, Horningsea and Teversham (Priest-in-Charge: Alun Ford)
Cambridge South Deanery
Parish of St Martin (Priest-in-Charge: Johannes Roth)
- St Martin, Cambridge
- St Thomas, Cambridge
St Barnabas, Cambridge (Vicar: Anne Maclaurin; Curate: James Neal)
St James, Cambridge (Priest-in-Charge: Steven Rothwell)
St Paul, Cambridge (Vicar: Michael Beckett; Curate: Jonathan Canessa)
St Philip, Cambridge (Vicar: Stewart Taylor)
St Andrew, Cherry Hinton (Priest-in-Charge: Karin Voth Harman)
Grantchester and Newnham (Priest-in-Charge: Rachel Rosborough)
SS Mary & Michael, Trumpington (Vicar: Andy Chrich; Curates: Sarah Atkins, David Karoon)
Ely Team Ministry (Team Rector: Chris Hill; Team Vicar: Natalie Andrews; Curate: David Newton)
- St Michael & All Angels, Chettisham
- St Mary, Ely
- St Leonard, Little Downham
- St George, Little Thetford
- St James, Stretham
- Holy Cross, Stuntney
Littleport plus Coveney (Vicar/Priest-in-Charge: Howard Robson)
- St George, Littleport
- St Peter-ad-Vincula, Coveney
Sutton, and Witcham with Mepal (Vicar/Rector: Mary Hancock)
- St Mary, Mepal
- St Martin, Witcham
- St Andrew, Sutton-in-the-Isle
Grunty Fen Group (Vicar: Fiona Brampton)
- St Peter, Wentworth
- St Andrew, Witchford
- Holy Trinity, Haddenham
- St Peter, Wilburton
Fincham and Feltwell Deanery
Grimshoe Benefice (Rector: Joan Horan)
- St Mary, Feltwell
- St James, Hockwold
- St Andrew, Northwold
- St Mary, Southery
- St Mary the Virgin, Weeting
- St George, Methwold
Barton Bendish group of benefices (Priest-in-Charge: Vacant since 2016)
- St Andrew, Barton Bendish
- St Mary the Virgin, Beachamwell
- All Saints, Boughton
- St Martin, Fincham
- St Andrew, South Runcton
- Holy Trinity, Marham
- All Saints, Shouldham
- St Mary the Virgin, Shouldham Thorpe
- Watlington Benefice
- SS Peter & Paul, Watlington
- St Michael & All Angels & Holy Cross, Wormegay
- St James, Runcton Holme
- St Botolph, Tottenhill
St Margaret of Antioch, Wereham (Vacant)
Denver and Ryston with Roxham and West Dereham and Bexwell Benefice (Rector: Judith Grundy)
- St Mary the Virgin, Bexwell
- St Mary, Denver
- St Michael, Ryston
- St Andrew, West Dereham
Downham Market and Hilgay Benefices (Rector: James Mather)
- St Mary, Crimplesham
- St Edmund, Downham Market
- St Mary, Stradsett
- All Saints, Hilgay
- St Mark, Ten Mile Bank
Wimbotsham with Stow Bardolph and Stow Bridge with Nordelph Benefice (Vacant)
- St Mary the Virgin, Wimbotsham
- Holy Trinity, Nordelph (services held in village hall)
- Holy Trinity, Stow Bardolph
- St Peter, Stow Bridge
St Mary, Southery (Vacant)
Wretton with Stoke Ferry and Whittington Benefice (Vacant)
- Christ Church, Whittington
- All Saints, Wretton
Fordham and Quy Deanery
Anglesey Group (Vicar: Sue Giles)
- Holy Trinity, Bottisham
- St James, Lode
- St Mary, Quy
- St Mary, Swaffham Bulbeck
- St Mary, Swaffham Prior
Raddesley Group (Priest-in-Charge: Nicola Mann)
- St Mary, Brinkley
- St Augustine of Canterbury, Burrough Green
- St Peter, Carlton
- St Mary, Dullingham
- St Peter, Stetchworth
- St Mary the Less, Westley Waterless
Three Rivers Group (Rector: David Cleugh)
- St Margaret, Chippenham
- SS Peter & Mary Magdalene, Fordham
- St Andrew, Isleham
- St Nicholas, Kennett
- St Peter, Snailwell
Cheveley Group (Priest-in-Charge: Philip Tait)
- St Mary, Cheveley
- St Mary, Ashley
- All Saints, Kirtling
- St Mary, Woodditton
Fulbourn and the Wilbrahams (Rector/Vicar: Alice Goodman)
- St Vigor, Fulbourn
- St Nicholas, Great Wilbraham
- St John, Little Wilbraham
- St George, Six Mile Bottom
Soham and Wicken (Priest-in-Charge: Eleanor Whalley)
- St Andrew, Soham
- St Laurence, Wicken
Burwell and Reach (Vicar: Eleanor Williams)
- St Mary, Burwell
- St Etheldreda & Holy Trinity, Reach
Granta Vale Benefice (Rector: Vacant; House for Duty: Vacant)
- St Mary the Virgin, Great Abington
- Holy Trinity, Hildersham
- St Mary, Little Abington
- Holy Trinity, Balsham
- St Mary, West Wickham
- St Andrew, West Wratting
- St Mary, Weston Colville
Sawston with Babraham (Priest-in-Charge: Alan Partridge)
Linton Group (Team Rector: Margaret Guite; Team Vicar: Ian Fisher; Curate: Nicola Bown)
- St Mary, Linton
- St Mary, Bartlow
- All Saints, Castle Camps
- All Saints, Horseheath
- St Mary, Shudy Camps
Duxford, Hinxton & Ickleton, Whittlesford and Pampisford (Priest-in-Charge: Petra Shakeshaft)
- St Peter, Duxford
- St Mary and St John, Hinxton
- St Mary Magdalene, Ickleton
- St John the Baptist, Pampisford
- SS Mary & Andrew, Whittlesford
St Mary the Virgin, Great Shelford (Priest-in-Charge: Simon Talbott; Curate: Monica Cameron)
St Andrew, Stapleford (Priest-in-Charge: Simon Talbott; Non-Stipendiary Vicar: Simon Taylor)
Harston, Hauxton and Newton (Hon. Priest-in-Charge: Brigid Hadfield)
- All Saints, Harston
- St Edmund, Hauxton
- St Margaret of Antioch, Newton
All Saints, Little Shelford (Rector: Simon Scott; Curate: Christopher Henderson)
St Mary, Fen Drayton
SS Peter & Paul, Fenstanton (Priest-in-Charge: interregnum)
Godmanchester and Hilton (Vicar: David Busk)
- St Mary, Godmanchester
- St Mary Magdalene, Hilton
Hartford and Houghton with Wyton (Rector: Geoff Boucher)
- All Saints, Hartford
- St Mary, Houghton with Wyton
Hemingfords (Priest-in-Charge/Vicar: Peter Cunliffe)
Huntingdon (Vicar: Andrew Milton)
- All Saints, Huntingdon
- St Mary, Huntingdon
- St Bartholomew, Great Stukeley
- St Martin, Little Stukeley
Huntingdon (St Barnabas) and the Riptons (Rector: Rosemary Maskell)
- St Barnabas, Huntingdon
- St Andrew, Abbots Ripton
- St Peter, Kings Ripton
East Leightonstone Group (Vicar: Jason Taylor; Curate: Michael Bigg)
- St Mary Magdalene, Brampton
- All Saints, Ellington
- All Saints, Grafham
North Leightonstone Group (Priest-in-Charge: Mandy Flaherty)
- SS Peter & Paul, Alconbury
- All Saints, Buckworth
- St Michael, Great Gidding
- St John, Little Gidding
- All Saints, Hamerton
- St Margaret, Upton
- All Saints, Winwick
South Leightonstone Group (Vicar: Stephen Bowring)
- St Giles, Barham
- All Saints, Covington
- St Peter, Easton
- St Andrew, Kimbolton
- St James, Spaldwick
- St Botolph, Stow Longa
- All Saints, Tilbrook
West Leightonstone Group (Priest-in-Charge: Brenda Stewart)
- All Saints, Brington
- St Leonard, Great Catworth
- St Lawrence, Bythorn
- St John the Baptist, Keyston
- St Mary, Leighton Bromswold
- St Peter, Molesworth
- St Swithun, Old Weston
North Stowe Deanery
St Ives Deanery
St Neots Deanery
Wisbech Lynn Marshland Deanery
Diocesan news publications
|Ely Diocesan Remembrancer||May 1885||December 1915|
|Ely Diocesan Gazette||January 1916||November 1989|
|Ely Ensign||December 1989||January 2007|
|eLife Diocesan Newsletter||January 2009||Present|
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.420
- Diocese of Ely – Next Archdeacon of Cambridge appointed Archived 4 October 2015 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 11 April 2014)
- "History of the Diocese". Retrieved 31 March 2007.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016..
- Barrington-Ward, Simon. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Urwin, Lindsay Goodall. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Knowles, Graeme Paul. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Williams, Rowan Douglas. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016..
- "Bridging the divide in a city". Diocesan website – press releases. Diocese of Ely. 29 July 2004. Archived from the original on 7 March 2007. Retrieved 9 March 2007.
- Bridging the city divide. Ely Ensign. September 2004. Issue no. 178. p.4
- "Bishops bridge boundaries aboard boat" Peterborough Telegraph 2 August 2004
- "Bishop Donald becomes Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Ely" on the Peterborough Diocese website
- "Ely Cathedral - Welcome to Ely Cathedral". www.elycathedral.org. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Cambourne Church : Cambourne Church". www.cambournechurch.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Welcome to the Lordsbridge Team Churches". lordsbridge.org. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Welcome to The Papworth Team - Papworth Team Ministry". www.papworthteamchurches.org. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Christ the Redeemer - Home". www.christtheredeemer.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Christ Church Cambridge". www.christchurchcambridge.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Great St Mary's | THE UNIVERSITY CHURCH, CAMBRIDGE". www.gsm.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Our churches | Church at Castle". www.churchatcastle.org. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "St Clement's Church, Cambridge, UK". St Clement's Church, Cambridge, UK. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "St Matthew's Church Cambridge : Beliefs and history". stmatthews.uk.net. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- www.guavadesign.co.uk, Guava Design Ltd. "Home | Church of the Good Shepherd". www.churchofthegoodshepherd.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "St John's Orchard Park | Adoring Jesus Christ. Loving one another. Serving our community". St John's Orchard Park. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Andrew the Great, Cambridge". www.stag.org. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "St Andrew's Church, Chesterton". www.standrews-chesterton.org. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "St Peter's Church | Horningsea". www.horningsea.net. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Teversham Parish Church". www.teversham.info. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Home Page". www.stjohntheevangelistcambridge.org. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "St Martin's Parish, Cambridge". St Martin's Parish, Cambridge. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Home » Holy Trinity Church Cambridge". www.htcambridge.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Home - LSM". www.lsm.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Welcome". St Barnabas Church. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "St Bene't's Church". St Bene't's Church. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Lawton, John. "St Botolph's Church Cambridge England". www.stbotolphs.net. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Welcome". St. Edward, King and Martyr. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "St James Church | Wulfstan Way, Cambridge CB1 8QJ". stjamescambridge.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "St Paul's Cambridge". www.stpaulscambridge.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Welcome » St Philips Church Centre". www.stphilipschurch.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Home". St Andrew's, Cherry Hinton. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Grantchester Church | Church of St. Andrew & St. Mary, Grantchester". church.grantchester.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Church, St Mark's. "Home - Welcome to St Mark's Newnham". www.stmarksnewnham.org. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Home :: Trumpington Church". trumpington.church. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "St Mary's Ely". St Mary's Ely. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Leonards". St Leonards. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St James' Church Stretham". St James' Church Stretham. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St. George's Church". www.littleportparishchurch.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Holy Trinity Church Haddenham Cambs - Home". holyhaddenham.btck.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Grimshoe Benefice". Grimshoe Benefice. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "The Watlington Benefice". www.watlingtonbenefice.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St. Mary's Church, Bexwell, Norfolk, England - Home Page". bexwell-church.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Edmund, Saint. "Parish Church of Saint Edmund". www.saintedmund.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Anglesey Group of Parishes - Home". angleseygroupparishes.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "The Three Rivers Group of Parishes". www.threerivers.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- User, Super. "Cheveley Group of Churches". www.cheveleygroup.org. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Fulbourn and the Wilbrahams". www.fulbournandthewilbrahams.org. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "St Andrews". www.sohamandwicken.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "St Marys Burwell". www.stmarysburwell.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Granta Deanery Synod". Granta Deanery Synod. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Holy Trinity Church Balsham". Church of the Holy Trinity, Balsham, Cambridge. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Mary's Church, Sawston". www.stmaryssawston.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Peter's Church, Babraham". www.stpetersbabraham.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Mary's Linton, Cambridgeshire | Welcome to St Mary's Linton". www.stmaryslinton.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Hinkledux - The churches of Hinxton, Ickleton and Duxford". Hinkledux. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "St Mary and St Andrew's | Whittlesford | Church". St Mary and St Andrew's | Whittlesford | Church. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Home - St Mary the Virgin". St Mary the Virgin. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Saint Andrews Stapleford | Bringing more of God to the community and more of the community to God. Here for Good!". standrewsstapleford.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "WELCOME - Benefice of Harston, Hauxton and Newton". www.harstonhauxtonnewton.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "All Saints Little Shelford - Welcome to All Saints, Little Shelford". www.allsaintslittleshelford.org. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Fenstanton St Peter and St Paul". www.fenstantonparishchurch.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Godmanchester". www.stmarysgodmanchester.org. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Welcome". www.allsaintshartford.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "St. James' Church, Hemingford Grey - Lives Transformed by Jesus". St. James' Church, Hemingford Grey. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Huntingdon Town Centre Anglicans". www.huntingdontowncentreanglicans.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Welcome!". The Parish of East Leightonstone. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "North Leightonstone – West Cambs Benefice". norleigh.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "The South Leightonstone Group of Churches | in the Deanery of Huntingdon, in the Diocese of Ely, in the Church of England". kymchurch.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "St Andrew's Church Kimbolton". standrew-kimbolton.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "West Leightonstone Benefice". westleightonstone.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "St Mary's Church Leighton Bromswold - Home". www.stmarysleightonbromswold.btck.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
-  Ely Diocesan Remembrancer. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014
-  Ely Diocesan Gazette. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014
-  Ely Ensign. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014