Diocese of Ely
|Diocese of Ely|
Armorials of Bishop of Ely: Gules, three ducal coronets or
|Archdeaconries||Cambridge, Huntingdon and Wisbech|
|Bishop||Stephen Conway, Bishop of Ely|
|Suffragan||David Thomson, Bishop of Huntingdon|
|Archdeacons||Hugh McCurdy, Archdeacon of Huntingdon and Wisbech
Alex Hughes, Archdeacon of Cambridge
The Diocese of Ely is a Church of England diocese in the Province of Canterbury. It is headed by the Bishop of Ely, who sits at Ely Cathedral in Ely. There is one suffragan (subordinate) bishop, the Bishop of Huntingdon. The diocese now covers the modern ceremonial county of Cambridgeshire (excluding the Soke of Peterborough) and western Norfolk. The diocese was created in 1109 out of part of the Diocese of Lincoln.
The diocese is ancient, and the area of Ely was part of the patrimony of Saint Etheldreda. A religious house was founded in the city in 673. After her death in 679 she was buried outside the church, and her remains were later reburied inside, the foundress being commemorated as a great Anglian saint.
The diocese has had its boundaries altered various times. From an original diocese covering the historic county of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Bedfordshire and Huntingdonshire were added in 1837 from the Diocese of Lincoln, as was the Sudbury archdeaconry in Suffolk from the Diocese of Norwich. In 1914 Bedfordshire became part of the Diocese of St Albans, and western Suffolk became part of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, whilst Ely took a western part of the Diocese of Norwich. Peterborough remains the seat of the Diocese of Peterborough.
Today the Diocese covers an area of 1,507 square miles (3,900 km2). It has a population of 705,000 and comprises 209 benefices, 303 parishes and 335 churches with 145 stipendiary parochial clergy.
There are also six retired bishops living in the diocese who are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 1995–present: Peter Dawes, retired Bishop of Derby, lives in Ely itself.
- 1998–present: Retired Bishop of Coventry Simon Barrington-Ward also lives in Cambridge.
- 2011–present: Lindsay Urwin, Administrator of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, is a former Area Bishop of Horsham. He lives outside the diocese in Walsingham, Norfolk.
- 2012–present: Retired Dean of St Paul's and former Bishop of Sodor and Man Graeme Knowles lives in Bury St Edmunds (in neighbouring Eds & Ips diocese.)
- 2013–present: Retired Archbishop of Canterbury The Lord Williams of Oystermouth become Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge in 2013.
- 2013–present: John Flack, retired Director of the Anglican Centre in Rome & Archbishop's Representative to the Holy See and former Bishop of Huntingdon, lives in Whittlesey.
Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor, Norman Banks, Bishop suffragan of Richborough, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese to facilitate his work there.
The Bishop of Peterborough has also been commissioned as assistant bishop in the diocese so that he can exercise pastoral care in several old Huntingdonshire parishes now within the Peterborough unitary authority: including Stanground, Orton, Woodston, Yaxley and Fletton.
Diocesan news publications
|Ely Diocesan Remembrancer||May 1885||December 1915|
|Ely Diocesan Gazette||January 1916||November 1989|
|Ely Ensign||December 1989||January 2007|
|eLife Diocesan Newsletter||January 2009||Present|
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.420
- Diocese of Ely – Next Archdeacon of Cambridge appointed (Accessed 11 April 2014)
- "History of the Diocese". Retrieved 31 March 2007.
- "Peter Spencer Dawes". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- Barrington-Ward, Simon. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Urwin, Lindsay Goodall. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Knowles, Graeme Paul. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Williams, Rowan Douglas. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "John Robert Flack". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- "Bridging the divide in a city". Diocesan website – press releases. Diocese of Ely. 29 July 2004. Retrieved 9 March 2007.
- Bridging the city divide. Ely Ensign. September 2004. Issue no. 178. p.4
- "Bishops bridge boundaries aboard boat" Peterborough Telegraph 2 August 2004
- "Bishop Donald becomes Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Ely" on the Peterborough Diocese website
-  Ely Diocesan Remembrancer. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014
-  Ely Diocesan Gazette. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014
-  Ely Ensign. British Library catalogue. Accessed 20 October 2014