Diocese in Europe
|Diocese in Europe|
|Archdeaconries||Eastern, France, Germany and Northern Europe, Gibraltar, Italy and Malta, Northwest Europe, Switzerland|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar|
|Co-cathedral||St Paul's Pro-Cathedral
Holy Trinity, Brussels
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Justin Welby|
The Diocese in Europe (short form for "The Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe") is geographically the largest diocese of the Church of England and the largest diocese in the Anglican Communion, covering some one-sixth of the Earth's landmass, including Morocco, Europe (excluding the British Isles), Turkey, Mongolia and the territory of the former Soviet Union.
The See Cathedral is the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar and there are two Pro-Cathedrals in Malta and Brussels. The diocese is headed by the Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe, who is assisted by the Suffragan Bishop in Europe. The present bishop, Rob Innes, was commissioned and consecrated on 20 July 2014. The current suffragan bishop is David Hamid, who was consecrated bishop on 17 October 2002. The pro-cathedrals are St Paul's Cathedral, Valletta, Malta, and Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Brussels, Belgium.
The diocese is attached to the Province of Canterbury. The Diocese of Gibraltar was created on 29 September 1842 and at that time covered all Anglican chaplaincies from Portugal to the Caspian Sea. On 30 June 1980, the diocese was amalgamated with the Jurisdiction of North and Central Europe (exercised by the Bishop of London through the Suffragan Bishop of Fulham) and renamed the Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe (it has since become commonly known as the Diocese in Europe). It is divided into seven archdeaconries.
- 1 Archdeaconries
- 2 Bishops
- 3 Churches
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- Eastern Archdeaconry, consisting of: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan. The previous archdeacon was Patrick Curran, who was based in Vienna, Austria and served 2002–2015. The archdeacon is assisted by two area deans (one in Athens, Greece and one in Moscow, Russia). Colin Williams became the full-time Archdeacon in October 2015, taking charge of both the Eastern archdeaconry and that of Germany and Northern Europe, and being based in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Archdeaconry of Germany and Northern Europe, consisting of: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, and Sweden. The archdeacon is assisted by two area deans.
- Archdeaconry of France (including Monaco). The current archdeacon is Meurig Williams (2016) and is assisted by two area deans.
- Archdeaconry of Gibraltar, consisting of: Andorra, Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, and Spain. The current archdeacon is Geoff Johnston. The archdeacon is assisted by two area deans.
- Archdeaconry of Italy and Malta. The current archdeacon is Vickie Sims (2016). She is based in Milan, Italy and assisted by one area dean.
- Archdeaconry of Northwest Europe, consisting of: Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. The Acting Archdeacon is Paul Vrokijk (2016). The archdeacon is assisted by two area deans.
- Archdeaconry of Switzerland. The acting archdeacon is Adèle Kelham (2016) who is based in Lausanne.
The diocese also licences many honorary assistant bishops to fulfill some episcopal duties across the European diocese. Several of these are the current bishops of other churches in Europe in communion with the Church of England:
- Pierre Whalon has been the bishop-in-charge of the Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe since 2001. He lives in Paris, France.
- Matthias Ring has been the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of the Old Catholics in Germany since 2010; the diocese is based in Bonn, Germany.
- Jorge de Pina Cabral has been the diocesan bishop of the Lusitanian Church since 2012; the diocese is based in Gaia, Portugal.
- 2001–present: Richard Garrard, retired Director of the Anglican Centre in Rome & Archbishop's Representative to the Holy See and former Bishop of Penrith, lives in Upper Stoke, Norfolk and is also licensed in the Diocese of Norwich.
- 2002–present: Edward Holland, retired Bishop of Colchester, lives in Hammersmith, Greater London and is licensed in the Diocese of London.
- 2002–present: David Smith, retired Bishop of Bradford, lives in Dunnington, North Yorkshire and is also licensed in York diocese.
- 2003–present: John Flack, retired Director of the Anglican Centre in Rome & Archbishop's Representative to the Holy See and former Bishop of Huntingdon, lives in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire.
- Alan Chesters, retired diocesan Bishop of Blackburn, lives in Lingfield, Surrey.
- 2003–present: A retired former Bishop of Durham and Bishop of Rochester, Michael Turnbull, lives in Sandwich, Kent.
- 2011–present: retired Bishop of Salisbury David Stancliffe lives in Stanhope, County Durham (he is also licensed in Durham diocese.)
- 2011–present: Stephen Venner, retired Bishop of Dover, current Bishop for the Falkland Islands and Bishop to the Forces, lives in St Albans, Hertfordshire and is also licensed in the Diocese of Rochester.
- 2013–present: retired Bishop of Blackburn Nicholas Reade lives in Bexhill, East Sussex.
- 2014–present: Michael Colclough, retired Canon Pastor of St Paul's Cathedral and former Bishop of Kensington, lives in Chelsea, Greater London, and is also licensed in the Diocese of London.
- Fernando da Luz Soares, retired bishop of the Lusitanian church, is listed as having been licensed since 1995; he retired in 2013 but remains bishop emeritus of that church and apparently remains in Gaia, Portugal.
- 1999–present: Patrick Harris, retired Bishop of Southwell, lives in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in the UK, and is also licensed in the Diocese of Gloucester.
- 1999–present: Joachim Vobbe is a retired bishop (now bishop emeritus) of the German Old Catholic church; his address is recorded as being in Bonn, Germany.
Archdeaconry of France
- Pas-de-Calais (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Calais Anglican Church
- Boulogne-sur-Mer Anglican Church
- Hesdin Anglican Church
- Christ Church Brittany (Interim Minister: Jeremy Cross)
- Ploërmel Anglican Church
- Huelgoat Anglican Church
- Rostrene Anglican Church
- Dunkerque Mission to Seafarers (Chaplain: Philip Edell)
- Lille and Arras (Priest-in-Charge: DM Flach)
- St Peter, Chantilly (Chaplain: Nick Clarke)
- Christ Church in the Manche (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Gratot Hommëel Anglican Church
- Virey Anglican Church
- St Bartholomew, Dinard (Priest-in-Charge: Gareth Randall)
- St George, Paris, with Caen (Chaplain: Matthew Harrison; Assistant Chaplain: Andrew Bigg; Curate: Nicolas Razafindratsima)
- St Michael, Paris (Chaplain: Vacant; Associate Chaplain: Dale Hanson)
- Holy Trinity, Maisons-Laffitte (Chaplain: Olaf Eriksson)
- Versailles and Gif (Assistant Chaplain: EO Labourel)
- St Luke, Fontainebleau (Chaplain: Vacant)
- All Saints, Vendée (Priest-in-Charge: Vacant)
- Puy de Serre Anglican Church
- La Chapelle Archard Anglican Church
- La Chapelle Palluau Anglican Church
- Christ the Good Shepherd, Poitou-Charentes (Chaplain: Adam Boulter; Assistant Chaplain: Paul Knight)
- Ambernac Anglican Church
- Barbezieux-St-Hilaire Anglican Church
- Chef Boutonne Anglican Church
- Civray Anglican Church
- Jarnac Anglican Church
- La Rochefoucauld Anglican Church
- Magné Anglican Church
- Parthenay Anglican Church
- St Jean d'Angély Anglican Church
- Verteuil Anglican Church
- Villejésus Anglican Church
- St Mark, Grenoble (Chaplain: Bob Hurley)
- Aquitaine (Chaplain: Tony Lomas; Assistant Chaplains: GL Strachan, Bramwell Bearcroft; Curates: EA Morris, Charlotte Sullivan)
- Bertric-Burée Anglican Church
- Bordeaux Anglican Church
- Limeuil Anglican Church
- Monteton Anglican Church
- Périgueux-Chancelade Anglican Church
- Sorges Anglican Church
- Ste Nathalène Anglican Church
- Doudrac Anglican Church
- St Andrew, Biarritz (Chaplain: Vacant)
- St Alban, Strasbourg (Priest-in-Charge: Mark Barwick)
- Trinity Church, Lyon (Chaplain: Ben Harding)
- Midi-Pyrénées & Aude Chaplaincy (Chaplain: Vacant; Assistant Chaplains: Tony Jewiss, June Hutchinson)
- Alet les Bains Anglican Church
- Brens Anglican Church
- Cahors Anglican Church
- Caylus Anglican Church
- Toulouse Anglican Church
- Valence d'Agen Anglican Church
- Vayrac Anglican Church
- St Michael, Gard (Priest-in-Charge: Stafford Low)
- Marseille and Aix (Priest-in-Charge: Vacant)
- All Saints, Marseille
- Aix-en-Provence Anglican Church
- Holy Trinity, Cannes (Chaplain: Giles Williams)
- St Michael, Beaulieu-sur-Mer (Priest-in-Charge: Anthony Ingham)
- Lorgues with Fayence (Priest-in-Charge: Peter Massey)
- Lorgues Anglican Church
- Fayence Anglican Church
- St John, Menton (Priest-in-Charge: DA Hart)
- Nice and Vence (Chaplain: Peter Jackson)
- Holy Trinity, Nice
- St Hugh, Vence
- St Andrew, Pau (Priest-in-Charge: Robert Dennis)
- St Raphaël, with Port Grimaud (Chaplain: Tom Wilson)
- St John the Evangelist, St Raphaël
- Port Grimaud Anglican Church
- St George, Vernet-les-Bains (Priest-in-Charge: David Phillips)
- St Paul, Monte Carlo
Archdeaconry of North West Europe
- Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Brussels (Senior Chaplain: Paul Vrolijk; Associate Chaplain: John Wilkinson)
- St Boniface, Antwerp (Chaplain: Andrew Wagstaff)
- Antwerp Mission to Seafarers (Chaplain: Brian Millson)
- Christ Church, Charleroi (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Ghent and Knokke (Priest-in-Charge/Chaplain: S Murray)
- St John, Ghent
- Ghent Mission to Seafarers
- SS Martha & Mary, Leuven (Priest-in-Charge: Jack McDonald)
- Liège Anglican Church (Priest-in-Charge: Paul Yiend)
- Mons Anglican Church (Served by Senior Chaplain to the Forces, UK Support Unit, Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe)
- Ostend, Bruges & Kortrijk (Priest-in-Charge: Augustine Nwaekwe)
- Ostend Anglican Church
- St Peter's Chapel, Bruges
- Kortrijk Anglican Church
- St George, Knokke-Heist
- St Paul, Tervuren (Chaplain: SJ Tyndall; Assistant Chaplain: NJ Gregory)
- St George, Ypres (Priest-in-Charge: BM Llewellyn)
- Luxembourg Anglican Church
Archdeaconry of Germany and Northern Europe
- Berlin with Dresden (Chaplain: CW Jage-Bowler; Assistant Chaplain: IKE Ahrens)
- Bonn with Cologne
- Bonn Anglican Church
- Cologne Anglican Church
- Christ Church, Düsseldorf
- Freiburg-im-Breisgau Anglican Church
- St Thomas a Becket, Hamburg
- Heidelberg Anglican Church
- Leipzig Anglican Church
- Stuttgart Anglican Church
- Denmark (Chaplain: DM McCallig)
- St Alban, Copenhagen
- Aarhus Anglican Church
- St Edmund's Church, Oslo
- St Olaf's Church, Balestrand
- Anglican Church in Finland (Chaplain: Tuomas Mäkipää; Assistant Chaplain: DL Oliver; Curate: AM Manga)
- Chaplaincy of St Nicholas, Helsinki
- Christ the King, Tampere
- White Nile Congregation, Vaasa
- SS Timothy & Titus, Tallinn (Priest-in-Charge: GP Piir)
- St Saviour, Riga
Archdeaconry of Switzerland
Divonne-les-Bains Anglican Church (Meets in Temple de Divonne)
Archdeaconry of Gibraltar
- Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar
- St George, Lisbon
- All Saints Church, Puerto de la Cruz
- St John the Evangelist, Morocco
- St Andrew, Tangier
Archdeaconry of Italy and Malta
- All Saints, Rome
- Macerata Anglican Church
- All Saints, Milan
- Cadenabbia Anglican Church
- Holy Ghost, Genova
- Venice with Trieste
- St George, Venice
- Aviano Anglican Church
- Trieste Anglican Church
- Bordighera Anglican Church
- Padova Anglican Church
- Vincenza Anglican Church (Served by US Army Base)
- St Mark, Florence
- St Peter, Siena
- Bologna Anglican Church
- Christ Church, Naples
- Bari Anglican Church
- Capri Anglican Church
- Sorrento Anglican Church
- Holy Cross, Palermo
- St George, Taormina
- Christ Church, Vienna (Chaplain: PM Curran; Assistant Chaplain: J Barker; Curate: M Waltner) - also serves Croatia
- Prague Anglican Church (Priest-in-Charge: WJ Yates)
- Budapest Anglican Church
- St Anthony, Sarajevo (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Anglican Church (Bucharest) - also serves Bulgaria
- Greater Athens Anglican Church
- Holy Trinity, Corfu
- St Andrew, Moscow
- Crimea Memorial Church
- St. John Evangelist Anglican Church
- St. John the Evangelist's Anglican Church, Izmir
- Tbilisi Anglican Church (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Yerevan Anglican Church (Chaplain: Vacant)
- Catholic Diocese of the Old Catholics in Germany – Old Catholic church in Germany
- Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe - another Anglican jurisdiction in Europe
- Lusitanian Catholic Apostolic Evangelical Church - Anglican church in Portugal
- Spanish Reformed Episcopal Church - Anglican church in Spain
- Diocese in Europe – New Diocesan Bishop Appointed Archived May 8, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- "No. 20146". The London Gazette. 30 September 1842. p. 2632.
- Official History of the Diocese of Europe Archived June 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- London Gazette, 3 July 1980; Diocese in Europe Measure 1980
- Diocese in Europe — First full time stipendiary archdeacon appointed (Accessed 29 May 2015)
- Diocese in Europe – Who We Are: Bishop (Accessed 25 April 2014)
- Diocese in Europe – Prayer Diary, January–June 2014 Archived 2014-04-27 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 27 April 2014)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory – Benefice: Honorary Assistant Bishops, Diocese: Gibraltar in Europe (Accessed 25 April 2014)
- "The Anglican church in the Pas de Calais-Home". www.anglicanspdc.com. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "CHRIST CHURCH BRITTANY". www.churchinbrittany.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Dunkerque Port". Mission To Seafarers. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Christ Church Lille – The International English-speaking church". christchurchlille.fr. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Chantilly, St Peter's Church,. "St Peter's Church, Chantilly › Home". www.stpeters.fr. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Christchurch in the Manche". www.manche-church.net. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "St. Bartholomew's Church Dinard". www.stbarts-dinard.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Saint George's Anglican Church, Paris, France". www.stgeorgesparis.com (in French). Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Anglican Chaplaincy, Caen". anglican-chaplaincy-caen.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "saintmichaels". saintmichaels. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Parr, Chris. "Holy Trinity Church Maisons-Laffitte - English speaking church in the Paris area". www.htcml.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "St Luke's Church Fontainebleau". www.saintlukesfontainebleau.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- Design, EA. "All Saints Vendee | English Speaking Church in Vendee France". www.allsaintsvendee.fr. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Christ the Good Shepherd, France, Church in France". Christ the Good Shepherd, France, Church in France. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "English speaking church of Grenoble | many nationalities, a common language". grenoblechurch.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- Amy. "Welcome". www.churchinaquitaine.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "The Anglican Church in Bordeaux". The Anglican Church in Bordeaux. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Biarritz Anglican Church". Biarritz Anglican Church. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Home - Saint Alban's". Saint Alban's. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Trinity Church Lyon – Church, in Lyon, in English". lyonchurch.org. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "The Chaplaincy of Midi-Pyrénées and Aude | Home". churchinmidipa.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "St Michael's". St Michael's. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Marseille, Anglican. "Home page - Website of the Anglican Church in Marseille". www.anglican-marseille.org. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Holy Trinity Cannes". www.holytrinitycannes.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "St Michael's Church | English Speaking Church, French Riviera, Anglican Marriages". www.stmichaelsbeaulieusurmer.org. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- "Lorgues with Fayence in the Var". www.lorgueswithfayence.org. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Anglican Church Menton France English Speaking". anglicanchurchmenton. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Holy Trinity Nice – Eglise Anglicane". www.anglican-nice.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Church of St. John the Evangelist". www.sjevar.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "St.George's Anglican Church,Vernet-Les-Bains,Pyrénées-Orientales 66, France". St.George's Anglican Church,Vernet-Les-Bains,Pyrénées-Orientales 66, France. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Home - Holy Trinity Brussels Church". Holy Trinity Brussels Church. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "St Boniface Antwerp, an Anglican - Episcopalian Church, welcomes you". St Boniface Antwerp. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- .uk, Janet Hammersley, www . janethammersley .co. "The Antwerp Mission To Seafarers - caring for seafarers of all nationalities and creeds". users.skynet.be. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Brief history of Anglican worship in Charleroi | Église Protestante de Charleroi". www.epubcharleroi.be (in French). Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "SAINT JOHNS ANGLICAN CHURCH GHENT, BELGIUM". SAINT JOHNS ANGLICAN CHURCH GHENT, BELGIUM. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Anglicaanse Kerk Leuven'". Anglican Church of Leuven. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "The English Church in Ostend, Bruges, Kortrijk and Knokke-Heist". theenglishchurch.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "St. Paul's Anglican Church | Welcome". stpaulstervuren.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Church(Ypres)-Belgium, St George’s Memorial. "St George's Memorial Church". St George's Memorial Church. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Anglican Church in Finland". Anglican Church in Finland. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Home | La Côte Anglican Church". www.lacotechurch.ch. Retrieved 2017-07-13.