Anglican Diocese of Grafton
|Diocese of Grafton|
|Ecclesiastical province||New South Wales|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Church of Christ the King|
|Bishop||Bishop of Grafton Rt Rev Dr Sarah Macneil|
The Anglican Diocese of Grafton is one of the 23 dioceses of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese is located in north-east New South Wales and covers the area from the Queensland border to Port Macquarie in the south and west to the Great Dividing Range.
Created in 1914 as a result of a division of the previous Diocese of Grafton and Armidale it has 26 parishes, an active environment commission and an Anglicare organisation seeking to support community and social needs within the diocese. The diocesan cathedral church is the Cathedral Church of Christ the King in Grafton.
The Church of St Thomas at Port Macquarie was built by an early Governor of New South Wales, Thomas Brisbane. It is the fifth oldest church building in Australia.
The Bishop is based in Grafton.
- 1914–1921 Cecil Druitt
- 1921–1938 John William Ashton
- 1938–1945 William Henry Webster Stevenson
- 1946–1955 Christopher Storrs
- 1956–1961 Kenneth John Clements (translated to Canberra and Goulburn)
- 1961–1973 Gordon Arthur
- 1973–1985 Donald Shearman (previously Bishop of Rockhampton)
- 1985–1998 Bruce Allen Schultz (previously Dean of Grafton)
- 1998–2003 Philip Huggins
- 2003–2013 Keith Slater
- 2014–present Sarah Macneil
The cathedral church is Christ Church Cathedral in Grafton which was designed by John Horbury Hunt and commenced in 1884 during the episcopacy of Bishop Turner and completed to its present stage in 1937. The building is of brick construction in a Gothic Revival style with towering arches and ornate stained glass windows. An organ was installed in 1884 by George Fincham of Melbourne which was replaced in 1992 by a 1903 instrument brought from London by Peter D.G. Jewkes Pty Ltd of Sydney.
Deans of Grafton
- 2007–2017: Donald Kingsley Kirk
- 1997–2007: Peter Charles Catt (afterwards Dean of Brisbane, 2008)
- 1983–1997: Richard Warwick Hurford (later Bishop of Bathurst, 2001)
- 1979–1983: Bruce Allan Schultz (afterwards Bishop of Grafton, 1985)
- 1969–1978: Henry St John Edwards
- 1966–1968: Roderick William Bowie
- 1949–1965: Arthur Edward Warr
The diocese also has a number of church-based schools providing education across a range of age groups.
|1981||Lindisfarne Anglican Grammar School||1100||P-12||Tweed Heads|
|1993||Bishop Druitt College||1192||K-12||Coffs Harbour|
|1998||Emmanuel Anglican College||388||P-12||Ballina|
|1998||Clarence Valley Anglican School||297||P-12||Grafton|
|2002||St Columba Anglican School||680||P-12||Port Macquarie|