Roman Catholic Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden
|Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden
The Saint Joseph Church in Groningen
|Territory||Groningen, Friesland, Drenthe, and the Noordoostpolder|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Utrecht|
|Area||9,205 km2 (3,554 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)
|Cathedral||Saint Joseph Church, Groningen|
|Patron saint||Saint Boniface|
|Bishop||Gerard de Korte|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Wim Eijk|
|Vicar General||Peter Wellen|
Location of the Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden in the Netherlands
The Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden (Dutch: Bisdom Groningen-Leeuwarden; Latin: Dioecesis Groningensis-Leovardiensis) is a diocese of the Catholic Church in the northern Netherlands. It encompasses the provinces of Groningen, Friesland and Drenthe, as well as the Noordoostpolder, a part of the province of Flevoland.
The diocese was erected on 2 February 1956 as the Diocese of Groningen. Its current name was created on 4 February 2006.
There are some 110,000 Catholics (or 6.2% of the total population) living in the diocese, making it the smallest Dutch diocese in population, even while it is the largest in area, covering an area of some 9,205 square kilometers (3,554 sq mi). As per the most recent data available, the number of churchgoers in 2005 was 12,435 or 0.7% of the total population.
The current bishop is Mgr. Gerard Johannes Nicolaus de Korte, former auxiliary bishop of Utrecht, who was appointed on 18 June 2008. The episcopal seat is the cathedral of Saint Joseph located in the city of Groningen.
- Pieter Antoon Nierman (10 March 1956 – 21 May 1969)
- Johann Bernard Wilhelm Maria Möller (21 May 1969 – 26 April 1999)
- Wim Eijk (17 July 1999 – 11 December 2007)
- Gerard de Korte (18 June 2008 – present)
- (Dutch) Kerncijfers 2005 uit de kerkelijke statistiek van het Rooms-Katholiek Kerkgenootschap in Nederland
- "Bisdom // (nv) over het bisdom // mgr. dr. g.j.n. de korte". Bisdomgroningenleeuwarden.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
|This Netherlands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|