Anglican Diocese of The Murray
|Diocese of The Murray|
St John the Baptist Cathedral
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of South Australia|
|Denomination||Anglican Church of Australia|
|Cathedral||St John the Baptist Cathedral, Murray Bridge|
The Anglican Diocese of The Murray is located in the south-eastern region of South Australia, taking in the Fleurieu Peninsula, Riverland, Adelaide Hills, Murraylands and the southern suburbs of Adelaide. In 2011 the diocese had 22 parishes or pastoral districts. The cathedral church of the diocese is the Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Murray Bridge.
The previous Bishop of The Murray was Ross Davies, who relinquished the position in September 2010 and was received into the Roman Catholic Church. John Ford, the Bishop suffragan of Plymouth in the Church of England's Diocese of Exeter, was installed as the new bishop on 6 December 2013.
The Diocese of The Murray is a traditionalist Anglo-Catholic diocese that does not ordain women to the priesthood. It is also the only diocese in the Anglican Church of Australia to not ordain women as deacons either.
Bishops of The Murray
- Robert George Porter (1970 to 1989); inaugural bishop
- Graham Howard Walden (1989 to 2001)
- Ross Owen Davies (2001 to 2010)
- Vacant (2010 - 2013)
- John Ford (2013 to present)
- "New Bishop for Diocese of The Murray", Diocese of The Murray website.
- Zwartz, Barney (9 March 2010). "At cross purposes". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Australia's first woman diocesan bishop consecrated". Anglican Communion News Service. Anglican Communion Office. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "The Diocese". The Diocese of The Murray. The Anglican Church of Australia. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Years of faith for this bush brother". The Daily Liberal. The Daily Liberal. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "New Bishop for Diocese of The Murray". The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|