Anglican Diocese of The Murray
Diocese of The Murray
St John the Baptist Cathedral
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of South Australia|
|Archdeaconries||The Murray |
|Denomination||Anglican Church of Australia|
|Cathedral||St John the Baptist Cathedral, Murray Bridge|
The Anglican Diocese of The Murray is located in the south-eastern region of South Australia, taking in the Fleurieu Peninsula, Riverland, Adelaide Hills, Murraylands and the southern suburbs of Adelaide. In 2011 the diocese had 22 parishes or pastoral districts. The cathedral church of the diocese is the Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Murray Bridge.
Ross Davies, relinquished the position of bishop in September 2010 and was received into the Roman Catholic Church. John Ford, the Bishop suffragan of Plymouth in the Church of England's Diocese of Exeter, was installed as the new bishop on 6 December 2013. He stepped down in May 2019, and the Reverend Keith Dalby was elected as his successor.
The Diocese of The Murray is a traditionalist Anglo-Catholic diocese that does not ordain women to the priesthood. It was the last diocese in the Anglican Church of Australia to admit women to the diaconate, ordaining Margaret Holt as deacon in April 2017.
Bishops of The Murray
- Robert George Porter (1970 to 1989); inaugural bishop
- Graham Howard Walden (1989 to 2001)
- Ross Owen Davies (2001 to 2010)
- Vacant (2010 - 2013)
- John Ford (2013 to 2019)
- Keith Dalby (bishop elect, June 2019)
- "New Bishop for Diocese of The Murray" Archived 2014-08-08 at the Wayback Machine, Diocese of The Murray website.
- Zwartz, Barney (9 March 2010). "At cross purposes". The Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 1 October 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Porter, Muriel (21 April 2017). "First woman deacon in The Murray". Church Times (UK). Archived from the original on 11 September 2017. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "The Diocese". The Diocese of The Murray. The Anglican Church of Australia. Archived from the original on 30 May 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Years of faith for this bush brother". The Daily Liberal. The Daily Liberal. Archived from the original on 10 April 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "New Bishop for Diocese of The Murray". The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. Archived from the original on 29 February 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|