Anglican Diocese of Waiapu
The Diocese of Waiapu is one of the thirteen dioceses and hui amorangi of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. The Diocese covers the area around the East Coast of the North Island of New Zealand, including Tauranga, Taupo, Gisborne, Hastings and Napier. It is named for the Waiapu River.
The diocese was established in 1858. The seat of the Bishop is the Waiapu Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist, Napier.
The most recently departed Bishop of Waiapu was David Rice, who was Bishop of Waiapu from 2008–2014, and who departed to become Bishop of San Joaquin in California. Andrew Hedge is the current bishop, having been installed on St Luke's Day, 18 October 2014.
- 1859–1876: William Williams
- 1877–1894: Edward Stuart
- 1895–1909: Leonard Williams
- 1910–1914: Alfred Averill
- 1914–1929: William Sedgwick
- 1930–1937: Herbert Williams
- 1938–1944: George Gerard
- 1945–1946: George Cruickshank
- 1947–1971: Norman Lesser (also Archbishop of New Zealand from 1961)
- 1971–1979: Paul Reeves
- 1979–1983: Ralph Matthews
- 1983–1990: Peter Atkins
- 1991–2002: Murray Mills
- 2002–2008: John Bluck
- 2008–2014: David Rice
- 2014–present: Andrew Hedge
- Archdeacon of Waiapu
- 1862–?: Leonard Williams
- David Ruddock
- Archdeacon of Tauranga
- Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. "About". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Pre 1839 foreigners in NZ
- Porter, Francis (30 October 2012). "Williams, William Leonard". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Biggs, Bruce (30 October 2010). "Williams, Herbert William". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- The Clergy List for 1866 (London: George Cox, 1866) p. 468
- Jacobs, Henry. "Diocese of Waiapu" (Part IV, Chapter V) in Colonial Church Histories: New Zealand (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1887) (Accessed at Project Canterbury, 25 June 2019)
- Waiapu Anglicans – official website of the Diocese of Waiapu
- Diocese of Waiapu on the official website of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia