Diocese of the Highveld
|Diocese of Highveld|
|Ecclesiastical province||Southern Africa|
|Cathedral||St Dunstan's Cathedral|
|Bishop of the Highveld||Charles May|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Thabo Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town|
The Diocese of the Highveld (formerly the Diocese of South Eastern Transvaal) is a diocese of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa covering the East Rand in Gauteng province and the southern part of Mpumalanga province in South Africa. The bishop's seat is at St Dunstan's Cathedral in Benoni.
The Diocese of the Highveld was formed through a multiplication of the original Anglican Diocese of Johannesburg, which, in geographical terms, embraced the whole of the former Southern Transvaal Province of South Africa. The new diocese extends from the eastern edge of the Metropolis of Johannesburg, Gauteng Province, South Africa, to the borders of the Kingdom of Swaziland. Apart from the urban and industrial areas, forming what is known as the East Rand, in which most of the parishes are situated, much of the Diocese is rural farming land, falling within the Province of Mpumalanga.
On the Feast of the Epiphany, 6 January 1990, the Diocese of South Eastern Transvaal, now Highveld, came into being. David Beetge was elected to lead the diocese; he died on the 27 September 2008. On 25 April 2009, David Bannerman was consecrated as bishop.
List of Bishops
- David Beetge 1990–2008
- David Bannerman 2009–2015
- Charles May (elected 25 April 2015, consecrated 13 September 2015)
Coat of arms
- Suberg 1999, p. 105.
- Diocese of the Highveld News - accessed on 24 March 2015
- "Archbishop Thabo Makgoba: Consecration and enthronement of the new Bishop of the Highveld". archbishop.anglicanchurchsa.org. 12 September 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- Brownell 2002, p. 82.
- Allen, John (2006). Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7432-9866-7.
- Suberg, O. M. (1999). The Anglican Tradition in South Africa: A Historical Overview. University of South Africa. ISBN 978-1-86888-091-1.
- Brownell, F. G. (2002). Heraldry in the Church of the Province of Southern Africa, 1847-2000: Coats of Arms of the Dioceses, Collegiate and Parish Churches, and the Order of Ethiopia. Heraldsholme CC. ISBN 978-0-620-28606-0.
|This South Africa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|