|Regional unit||East Attica|
|• Mayor||Giannis Kalafatelis (Ind.)|
|• Municipality||69.36 km2 (26.78 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||21.41 km2 (8.27 sq mi)|
|Elevation||480 m (1,570 ft)|
|• Municipality density||580/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||6,458|
|• Municipal unit density||300/km2 (780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Dionysos is situated on the northeastern slopes of the forested Penteliko Mountains. It is 5 km south of Agios Stefanos, 9 km west of Nea Makri, on the Aegean Sea coast, and 18 km northeast of Athens city centre. Its built-up area is continuous with those of the neighbouring suburbs Drosia and Rodopoli to the northwest. Even though the town is located only 20 Kilometres away from central Athens, it has a completely different climate, with weather being significantly cooler, including frequent snowfall during the winter. Motorway 1 (Athens - Lamia - Thessaloniki) and the railway from Athens to Thessaloniki pass through the western part of the municipality, near Agios Stefanos. There is a railway station at Agios Stefanos. Dionysos is connected to Kifisia by the 536 Dionysos-Kifisia bus service.
The town was known by the Arvanitika name Tzamali (Τζαμάλη) up until 1928 when it was renamed Dionysos.
Dionysos hosts an annual open summer festival usually every July, featuring art exhibitions, theatrical performances, musical shows, sculpture painting and other arts.The public library of Dionysos is located in the town hall, includes over 3500 books available to registered residents to borrow for free. It is run by local volunteers.
The municipality Dionysos was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 7 former municipalities, that became municipal units:
The municipality has an area of 69.360 km2, the municipal unit 21.410 km2.
- Thespis (6th century BC) actor
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 1991 (incl. area and average elevation)" (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece.
- Municipality of Dionysos
- White Marble of Dionissos-Penteli - greekmarble.com
- "White Marble of Dionissos-Penteli - marbleguide.gr". Archived from the original on 2005-02-09.
- Dionyssomarble group (Dionyssos - Pentelikon marble quarries)
- Dionissos White