|Classification and external resources|
Diphallia, penile duplication (PD), diphallic terata, or diphallasparatus, is a rare developmental abnormality in which a male infant is born with two penises. The first reported case was by Johannes Jacob Wecker in 1609. Its occurrence is 1 in 5.5 million boys in the United States.
When diphallia is present, it is usually accompanied by renal, vertebral, hindgut, anorectal or other congenital anomalies. There is also a higher risk of spina bifida. Infants born with PD and its related conditions have a higher death rate from various infections associated with their more complex renal or colorectal systems.
It is thought diphallia occurs in the fetus between the 23rd and 25th days of gestation when an injury, chemical stress, or malfunctioning homeobox genes hamper proper function of the caudal cell mass of the fetal mesoderm as the urogenital sinus separates from the genital tubercle and rectum to form the penis.
- A scientific paper of triphallia (3 penises) in a marine snail was reported.
- An unusual case of a diphallic man with two fully functional penises has been reported in the media.
- Sharma KK, Jain R, Jain SK, Purohit A (2000). "Concealed diphallus :a Case report and review of the literature". Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons. 5 (1): 18–21. Archived from the original on 2000.
- Mirshemirani, AR; Sadeghyian, N; Mohajerzadeh, L; Molayee, H; Ghaffari, P (2010). "Diphallus: Report on six cases and review of the literature". Iranian journal of pediatrics. 20 (3): 353–7. PMC . PMID 23056729.
- "Indian man wants op to remove extra organ". Reuters. 19 August 2006. Archived from the original on 22 January 2007. Retrieved 2006-08-18.
- Castillo, Viviana M; Brown, Donald I (2012). "One Case of Triphallia in the Marine Snail Echinolittorina peruviana (Caenogastropoda: Littorinidae)". International Journal of Morphology. 30 (3): 791. doi:10.4067/S0717-95022012000300003.
- Daniel Rosney (6 January 2015). "Living with two penises is 'special and unique'". BBC Newsbeat.
- Kory Grow (31 December 2014). "Love Me Two Times: The Man With a Double Penis Speaks Out". Rolling Stone.
- Chadha R, Bagga D, Gupta S, Mahajan JK. (July 2001). "Complete diphallia associated with features of covered exstrophy." 36 (7): E12, W.B. Saunders Company. National Center for Biotechnology Information, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
- Fleishman, Cooper (May 15, 2012). "Man With 2 Penises, Woman With 2 Vaginas Were the Sexiest Couple of the 19th Century". HyperVocal.
- Nelson, Sara C. (Jan 1, 2014). "Man 'With Two Penises' Reveals All On Reddit". Huffington Post
- DoubleDickDude (Jan 2, 2014). "I am the guy with two penises. AMA." Reddit.