Buzz Media was founded by Anthony Batt (CEO), Marc Brown, Kevin Woolery, and Steve Haldane under the name Buzznet. Batt and Brown started a blog in 1999, and by 2006 Buzznet had a total of nine people in the Los Angeles, California area. The Buzz media name was created as the company started to acquire more pop-culture and music blogs.
The company announced on March 19, 2009 it raised US$12.5 million in funding from venture capitalists that include companies that had already invested in the company, such as Anthem Ventures, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, and Sutter Hill Ventures, as well as new investor Focus Ventures.
It acquired Spin Media, publisher of Spin magazine in July 2012. After shutting down the print version of the magazine, reducing its staff to about 200, and focusing on advertising, it rebranded itself as SpinMedia in March 2013. At that time, Steve Hansen became its chief executive. In April 2013 it acquired Vibe magazine. In September 2016, SpinMedia sold Buzznet, Idolator, and PureVolume to startup corporation Hive Media.
In October 2016, SpinMedia divided its properties into two divisions -- SpinMusic and SpinEntertainment. In music it listed eight names -- SPIN, Vibe, Death and Taxes, Stereogum, Idolator, Buzznet, PureVolume and Sounds Like Nashville -- and entertainment, five -- Celebuzz, The Frisky, The Superficial, Go Fug Yourself and Celebslam, not yet reflecting the spin-off of Idolator, Buzznet and PureVolume to Hive.
- "BUZZMEDIA Acquires Top Women`s Entertainment & Lifestyle Website The Frisky from Turner Broadcasting". Reuters. 11 February 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Ben Kuo (May 10, 2006). "Interview with Anthony Batt, Co-Founder, Buzznet". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Rivera, Dominic (2009-03-20). "Buzznet becomes Buzz Media; Raises $12.5 million new funding". Blog Herald. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Maher, Rory (2009-03-19). "Buzznet Raises $12.5 Million; Changes Name To Buzz Media". paidContent. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "BUZZMEDIA Buys Spin". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. July 10, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Buzzmedia Rebrands Itself SpinMedia". Billboard. March 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Vibe Magazine Purchased by SpinMedia, Will Probably Go Online-Only". Billboard. April 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Ben Sisario (April 25, 2013). "Vibe Magazine Is Sold and Likely to Become Online Only". The New York Times. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Rys, Dan (September 21, 2016). "SpinMedia Sells Idolator, Buzznet & PureVolume to Hive Media". Billboard. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Defining Culture. Addicting Audiences", company web page. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
|This United States media company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|