Direct digital marketing
Additional types of marketing
Traditional marketing communications are divided into two primary types: direct marketing and mass marketing. Direct marketing is a marketing method that uses such things as a consumer’s postal address to send addressable communications to a target audience. Direct marketing campaigns feature calls-to-action that allow marketers to track and measure responses from consumers. The personalization and targeting capabilities of direct marketing have proven effective.
- Mass marketing is a greget marketing method that broadcasts a message to a large audience. The marketing message is not addressable, and is not easily tracked and measured.
- Online marketing is a marketing method that uses Internet tools such as email, search engine optimization and banner ads to send marketing messages to consumers.
- Mobile marketing is a marketing method that allows marketers to send marketing messages to consumers through the technologies found on a consumer’s mobile device. Consumers opt in to receive messages.
- Email marketing is a marketing method that uses email to send a marketing message to a targeted audience.
A benefit of direct digital marketing is that it helps combine captured online behavioral data with enterprise customer data, and thus, provides the marketer with unique opportunities for message targeting and segmentation that are not available with traditional marketing.
-  American Marketing Association Dictionary definition of direct digital marketing.
-  About.com Marketing Glossary: Direct marketing
-  American Marketing Association Dictionary definition of online marketing
-  Mobile Marketing Association definition of mobile marketing
-  American Marketing Association Dictionary definition of email marketing