Directive on the re-use of public sector information
|European Union directive|
|Title||Directive on the re-use of public sector information|
|Made by||European Parliament & Council|
|Made under||Art. 95|
|Journal reference||L345, 2003-12-31, pp. 90 – 96|
|Came into force||2003-12-31|
|Commission proposal||C365 E, 2000-12-19, p. 223|
|EESC opinion||C85, 2003-04-08, p. 25|
Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information, otherwise known as the PSI Directive is an EU directive that encourages EU member states to make as much public sector information available for re-use as possible. Previous to the creation of this directive this area was left to member states to regulate. This directive now provides a common legislative framework for this area.
The Directive is an attempt to remove barriers that hinder the re-use of public sector information throughout the Union.
The ePSIplus web portal (which has since been renamed "ePSIplatform") was set up as a result of this directive.
"Public sector information" includes « any content whatever its medium (written on paper or stored in electronic form or as a sound, visual or audiovisual recording)» when produced by a public sector body within its mandate, excluded a number of cases:
(d) documents held by public service broadcasters and their subsidiaries, and by other bodies or their subsidiaries for the fulfilment of a public service broadcasting remit; (e) documents held by educational and research establishments, such as schools, universities, archives, libraries and research facilities including, where relevant, organisations established for the transfer of research results; (f) documents held by cultural establishments, such as museums, libraries, archives, orchestras, operas, ballets and theatres.
- Directive 2003/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 on the re-use of public sector information (OJ L 345, 31.12.2003 p. 90)
- Existing rules on re-use of public sector information Accessed: 2010-01-21
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions - Re-use of Public Sector Information : review of Directive 2003/98/EC Accessed: 2010-01-21
- PSI Directive overview and supporting documents
- PSI Directive, 2003 text now incorporating 2013 amendments
- PSI Directive, 2013 amendments only